Looking for info on EEC-V (OBD-2) Lincoln Continental

I am having some problems with my Lincoln. Does anyone know of a forum about Electronic Engine Controls and On Board Diagnostics? My car is completely computer controled and I need a discussion group on the subject. There are about 50 different sensors that could be causing the problem and I don't feel like forking over the money for a scan tool. I thought I'd listen to other peoples similar problems and the culprit. Thanks in advance, Robert Taylor

Reply to
rtaylor

Robert, as the other guy said, you're going to have to invest in a scan tool. Do have a look at this US$80 one....

or do a Google search for "roadman obdii". You'll need a LapTop torun it out on the road or you can thread an RS-232 lead out of yourwindow and into your desktop. Just download the software and off yougo. You get on screen graphs of Oxygen sensor output and a whole loadof other goodies. The only thing I can't do is to reset the Servicelight on my Volvo V70. Regards Chris.

Reply to
Chris McBrien

AutoZone and maybe some other parts chains will read out your OBDII port for free, but don't replace any component just because OBD II codes pop up for it because often the real problem is with something else, such as the wiring or vacuum hose connected to it. Test the individual components as prescribed by the Ford factory manual or Mitchell manual (libraries, but some carry Mitchell On-Demand CDs instead), which usually requires nothing but a cheap digital voltage meter. Haynes, AllData, and Chilton's manuals and CDs aren't nearly as good, especially for fuel and emissions systems.

If you take your car to a garage and one of the first solutions they propose is a tune-up, be very skeptical of them because that's often the clueless hack's solution to everything, another being flushing the fuel injectors.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

There are a whole lot of things that can't be done.

This (and most other generic scan tools) rely on protocols and specifications for GENERIC scan tool functions.

A Volvo, in particular, would have many functions which are proprietary and would require the manufacturer's scan tool for full functionality.

The best and first tool needed would be the factory service manual.

Reply to
saeengineer

Hope I am posting in the right place! I did buy the service manual, Foord/Lincoln Dealer wanted $120.00, Found it online for $29.00 at

do realize I will have to get it scanned eventually but thought I'dlisten to other peeoples problems and solutions first. My biggestproblem is the car sometimes downshifting from OD nto Second or notwanting to upshift, just slip until I stomp it then it shifts about80mph. A friend of mine with the same kind of car had the same exactproblem He drove his until it burnt out a pump back by the torqueconvertor. He said the original part it needed was a sensor on theright side off the engine, or should I say the back of the enginesince the right is the back. Unfortunately he couldn't remeember whichsensor, maybe TP (throttle position) sensor. Accoording to the manualthere are many sensors that can cause this problem. Also my engineseems to idle too fast wheenever I have this shifting problem. I'lleventually figure it out. I thank you all for your input.Bob Taylor

Reply to
rtaylor

Why waste time and risk ruining the vehicle further by continuing to drive it in its state of disrepair. Just bite the bullet and take it in for service. The final repair bill will just keep climbing the longer you drive it like this.

Just my opinion, Roger

Reply to
zroger73

The only Continental manual I found there for OBD II years for $29 was a Chilton manual. This is not a factory service manual. In fact, the $120 dealer manual would most likely have to be supplemented by the Powertrain Controls Engine Diagnostics (PCED) for that model year. Compared to the $120 at the Lincoln dealer you'll get what you paid for it. IOW, Chilton is IMHO the WORST manual you could buy.

So it only delays upshifts on hard acceleration?

There are more than one. But not really that many.

I suspect that what is given is just a laundry list of the Engine/Transmission control sensors. The factory manual would include pinpoint tests for codes and sensors and also a diagnosis by symptom section that would pinpoint the problem if no codes are stored.

What specifically does your manual say about your symptoms?

My first guess without a seeing the vehicle and without scan data would be a bad or skewed Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. This could cause the high idle and delayed upshifts.

Reply to
saeengineer