Looking for shocks, 2000 Silverado

Hey All,

I have a 2000 Silverado, Z71, 75k miles, ext cab pickup and I believe I need shocks since it's seems "bouncier" than it used to. From reading this NG for years, I believe I have Bilstein (SP.) shocks. Can anyone confirm this? Also, is there a preferred supplier? I looked at rock auto and car part but they don't seem to carry the Bilsteins. Are the Bilstein shocks superior to say Monroe or KYB? Vehicle is basically used for light duty towing and hauling, nothing too extreme. Are the Billsteins worth replacing with OEM or is there a better option?

TIA,

Derek

Reply to
genius

I have used Bilsteins and believe them to be superior to the normal Monroe, etc. Dont know about KYB or Koni.

If you replace a Bilstein with an OEM, IMHO, you could well be getting a much poorer shock.

I seem to remember I bought mine at Bimmer, but there are lots of online sites that handle them.

Reply to
hls

Also, any gotchas on installation? I figured lots of penetrating oil prior, BFH and a cheater bar/impact would do the trick.

Reply to
genius

Also, any gotchas on installation? I figured lots of penetrating oil prior, BFH and a cheater bar/impact would do the trick.

******** Depends on what you mean.. I had no problem at all getting the new Bilsteins ON, but I did have some problems getting the old OEM stuff OFF. I had limited space overhead on the front (a Dodge) and had to buy a shock removal special tool. That helps you hold onto the shock rod while you grunt and strain to remove the nut on that rod.

If you can get to it with an impact wrench, it should come off easily.

I noticed an immediate improvement in the ride on my vehicle... It was really BAD with the OEM shocks, and settled down quite civilly with the Bils.

Bilstein USA has a website and you can search for your shocks there. But, you may find them cheaper elsewhere.

Hope you are satisfied with them.

Reply to
hls