Losing oil, '89 Mazda 626

There was some weeping around the valve cover gasket, so I replaced that. There is still a burning oil smell, but no smoke from the tailpipe. I am suspecting the oil pan may be loose; I'm going to look at it now.

I'll be doing an oil change in a bout a week; for right now I'm going to check the tightness of the bolts. When I do the change, I may drop the pan.

THe question is this: did this car have a gasket from the factory? All I can find are cork gaskets, and I really don't like using them unless I absolutely *have* to!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Did that...

Did that...

Oh, no...

The only thing I can think of now (hopefully NOT the HG!) is the aftermarket oil filter I put on. I'm kind of hoping that either the gasket didn't mate properly or got nicked going on.

I always match the new filter to the old, and it matched, but it went on hard, so it might be nicked...

120 miles to the next change...
Reply to
Hachiroku ハチロク