Loud crunch sound from front end

1997 Toyota Camry, 157,000km (98,000 miles).

The first time I apply the brakes after changing direction (from moving backwards to forwards, or vice versa) I hear a loud crunch sound from the right front wheel area. It can be a single "crunch" or several crunches in quick succession. Sometimes the sound also comes from the left front wheel, but usually just the right.

I've had a mechanic perform a visual check of the brakes and suspension and they found nothing obviously wrong.

Any ideas what it might be?

Reply to
sd

Probably shims came off. I heard the same sound on somone's car. After inspection, I found one severly worn brake pad and chewed-up shims, on the side where it's not visable. Another words, I didn't see them till remove to find it garbled up.

Reply to
Indian Summer