loud noise on stepping on gas

hi,

My 1997 Altima ( with auto trans ) is giving a strange problem since yesterday. It is making louder than normal noise on idling. Then, on givinggas, it makes a loud noise ( the kind one normally assoicates with a broken muffler/tailpipe ), and there is an appreciable loss of power. This loud noise ( especially in lower gears/speed ) is accompanied by a rattling sound which I can roughly locate from the back of the car ( nothing in the trunk, I checked ). Once it catches speed of say 50mph, and I am holding steady, the loudness goes down a bit. But on giving gas again ( while trying to beat a light ), the noise comes on again. Overall, there is a definite loss of power.

I read in a few posts about something called as an exhaust test pipe or something getting rusted and making a hole-in-muffler noise. I am not really sure if this applies to my case or not.

I would like to know what this newsgroup thinks about this.

much thanks, ms

Reply to
Mark Smith