Low Compression, thicker oil?

I have an old Saturn (1995 SL2) that's been diagnosed as having low compression in one of the cylinders. I can't afford to have it repaired right now, so I'm wondering if using a more viscous oil would be helpful in having it limp along for a few more months. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Reply to
mboszko

No, especially if it is a burned valve. If the engine runs reasonably well but just has low compression I would continue driving it since your choices are apparently limited.

Reply to
John S.

Define "reasonably well." it stumbles a lot, and I'm afraid one if these times, it's just going to stop turning over. That's why I ask. Thanks.

Reply to
mboszko

You may have other problems too. Until you are in a position to correct the compression problem I would keep the less expensive components in good condition. New air filter, plugs, oil and filter change, etc.

Reply to
John S.

Thicker oil is not going to magically alter the compression ratio. The only way to repair it is to tear down and rebuild or replace the engine. No cure in a bottle is going to make a difference.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well, if the problem is a stuck piston ring or two, it may be possible to unstick them with something called SeaFoam. More info:

?q=stuck+rings+%22sea+foam%22+OR+seafoam&tab=wg Never used it myself though. And otherwise I agree, don't waste your money on snake oil.

Reply to
tylernt