Low growl from transaxle?

Hiya,

I have an Nissan Altima four-cylinder 2006 and there seems to be a moan from the transaxle developing.

The faster I go the more pronounced the noise is, however, usually the road noise from the tires drowns out the moan.

It has an automatic transmission and 111,000 miles on it. Thru-out its time with me its been babied.

Are there other places on the car that could be suspect of where the moan is comming from? I get no feed back from the steering wheel or the seat of the pants.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
geo pearl

Wheel bearing?

Reply to
Sanity Clause

Could be. To the OP, Take the car out to a reasonably straight flat road. Drive at a speed where you can hear the moan. Now steer back and forth like you were running a slalom course. Does the sound change (get louder/go away) when turning either direction? Lightly touch the brakes to add some drag, any change then?

Get up to the speed that it moans and shift into neutral while keeping the engine turning the same rpms.Any changes then?

Reply to
Steve W.

It probably is a wheelbearing. I was braking while going down a hill/exit ramp and the noise was suddenly quite pronounced. Will the repairman replace the bearings on both wheels?

Reply to
geo pearl