LSD needs replacing??

Hi, I love my '89 Cressida, but it's starting to get a little long in the gears...

There's a troubling grinding sound which appears to be coming from the back end of the car. I drove around with mechanic and he said that he can tell by the sound that: 1) the sound is from the LSD, 2) that it's "slipping" too much, 3) therefore it needs to be replaced.

My question is, can you really tell all this just by listening to the sound? Or is he overstating the case, and maybe there is some less drastic (and costly) cause/cure?

Thanks for any input.

Adam in Canada

Reply to
adla11

It's possible that he's right, does this noise only occur while going around corners? If so, have you tried replacing the gear oil in the differential? (make sure you read the recommendations in the manual; if it specifies a limited slip additive make sure you include it.) Really, if it's just the limited slip that's failing, you can drive like that for years, you just won't have a functional limited slip. (this is assuming of course that it's a clutch-type limited slip; not sure if the same holds true for a Torsen type.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

There is some good advice about this problem posted here:

RayV

I'd try draining the fluid out of the differential, there is an additive for limited slip differentials that may solve this problem, it should be available at any autoparts store or the toyota dealer, fill the diff with 90W gear oil and add the additive, see what happens. I'd at least do this before giving up on it. LSD's are prone to noises when the additives in the gear oil break down over the years...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Thank you for the good suggestions. Yes, I had suggested to the mechanic that maybe a fluid change would get us by. But he said, no, he can tell by the noises that the diff needs to be replaced.

So, that's what I'm really wondering about. Is it really possible to be so sure of that based just on the noise?

jeffcoslacker wrote:

Reply to
adla11

He's right, it needs to be replaced. But try a fluid change first; it's a ten-minute job and it may help you eke out a few more miles before it finally fails.

Basically, any sounds from the differential mean it needs to be replaced. The best you can do is to postpone that replacement for a while. How long? Maybe a long time, maybe not very long at all. If it were me, I'd try and postpone it as long as possible, but then I am cheap.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If your LSD is causing you to see things and hear things, and question the things around you, it is functioning as designed. No need to replace.

-phaeton

(sorry, couldn't help it. I am prepared for the oncoming flameage)

Reply to
phaeton

I SERIOUSLY doubt that a Cressida even has a limited-slip diff. And if it does, LSD's usually "fail" by just not holding well. The clutches wear down, and it doesn't limit slip anymore- but this is generally completely silent. It essentially reverts to an "open" differential. On rare occaions, the clutches will start "chattering" which can be mistaken for "grinding" to an inexperienced ear.

Assuming its not actually an LSD, a loud grinding that only occurs during cornering is most likely a broken gear tooth or bad bearing on the "spider" gears. That defintely needs replacement. IF the noise occurs going straight, its a bearing or ring/pinion problem, and that also needs replacement.

If however it is a LSD that is just "chattering," a fluid change with limited-slip additive (Chrysler Sure-Grip additive is an excellent one) will probably shut it up. Given the relative cost, I'd at least try a fluid change with additive- IF you can be sure its got an LSD in the first place.

Reply to
Steve

The LSD needs replacing...hmmm... A few years earlier Timothy Leary might have been able to suggest a replacement.

You could try: Peyote Psilocybin Mushrooms Morning Glory Seeds Cannabis Dried Bananna Peels Magic Mushrooms

Reply to
John S.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion. I understand your skepticism about it being a limited-slip, because they are extremely rare on this model. However, mine is one of the rare ones that has it.

Well, it sure sounds like grinding to me, but maybe it's just chattering. I think I might indeed try changing the fluid. Since the alternative is going to add up (when I add in the other problems of failed electronic parts, and the need for a new head gasket) to more than the car itself is worth.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
adla11