LT1 5.7L overhaul literature WAS Re: Rear disc brake pads change, 1996 Z28?

I posted earlier asking for advice on changing rear disk brake pads on my 1996 Z28, and thanks for the advice on that one - one bit which was to invest a few bucks in a Haynes or Chiltons for the car (good advice).

Starting the car this morning revealed a relatively loud knock, definitely not a tick or tap. The frequency tracks RPMs, and the severity does not vary with RPMs, leading me to believe it's probably a main bearing failure. Trying to start it first thing this morning, it sounded as if the starter was laboring a little harder than usual, then it fired up with this knock.

Engine has about 138K on it, and really truly hasn't been abused while i've had it (about the past 70K miles), and has had regular oil changes and maintenance.

So, my question... can anyone recommend some good literature on LT1 overhaul? It would be nice to have something specific to 93-97 F-bodies, but I plan on getting a Haynes for this car also...

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Josh Wyatt

josh...about the knock you described........is this car equipped with an auto. trans.? if so, the torque converter bolts are bad about becoming loose and also a cracked flywheel could be your culprit. if it was the mains then your noise would differ.

Reply to
plainoldmechanic

Thanks for your reply. It's a 6 speed manual. I'd seen several mentions of flexplate issues causing a similar issue. Interestingly, the clutch was replaced about 3,000 miles ago...

I plan on doing the following as time allows:

  1. Disconnect each plug wire, one at a time, to see if it's a rod cap or rod bearing (I am told the knock goes away on a bad rod bearing, if that cylinder does not have a power stroke)
  2. Do an oil change and take apart the filter and examine the insides, as well as examine the old oil, for metal
  3. Remove serpentine and run engine, to rule out accessories

Any other suggestions while I'm at it?

I forgot to add, the oil pressure is still good (around 40psi cold, idling). If it's spun a main bearing, it has sealed off one of the oil supply ports. I really, really, really hope it's just something in the bottom, to keep from having to pull it. (Well I really hope it's something minor, but I'm not too optimistic).

Thanks, josh

Reply to
Josh Wyatt