Malibu Radio

The volume on my radio in my 2001 Malibu keep fading in and out. Any one had similar problems and is it worth while repairing. Been looking on the web and found a place that does refurbs for $180 but I have to take the car to the dealer to have the car computer accept the vin no. of the radio or vice versa.

Looking at after market stereos, I need to buy the special 'Metra VT-GMRC-01 GM Class II Data bus Interface' so I can keep my door chimes.

Been looking an Apline Unit for $180 and then by the time I add the 'chime' unit at $80 and no doubt the face plate kit, I am well on to the =A3300 mark. Almost the price of a new GM unit.

Any ideas appreciated.

David

Reply to
Dave

Try disabling the speed sensitive volume feature. That might correct the volume fading problem.

Reply to
jcr

I had thought of this but that didn't work. Anyway the unit went Chernobyl on me, a high pitched whine started coming out the speakers, with the sound changing with the engine speed. Luckily I was only 3 miles from my house before I could pull the unit out to disconnect it. Guess I can use the unit as a book end now....

Thanks for replying.

Reply to
Dave

I've recently bought a 2001 Mali and i've looked into replacing the original factory cd/radio. Crutchfield calls for the vt-gmrc-01 wire harness, and i found one on ebay, but the vehicle list doesn't cover the 2001 Malibu. I asked the dude that is selling the harness on ebay and he says it doesn't work for 2001. I've also looked at installer.com and it brings up the gmrc-01. Does the VT-GMRC-01 fit the 2001 Malibu or does it not?

Another question also, I'm kinda on a budget to purchase this wire harness and a new stereo, so i was thinking of going without the black box which average $60-80 (with harness). Now i've heard that some of you guys go without the black box (chime), so if this is so, what type of wire harness do you use (of what malibu year?) or do you just cut off the connector coming from the factory?

Reply to
2001M