Mazda 323 automatic changed engine problem

I have replaced the engine on my automatic Mazda 323 with an engine from a manual drive 323. the engine runs beautifully but the car wont engage when I shift the gear stick. unfortunately my mate put gear oil in the transmission initially. We drained this and replaced it with auto trans fluid. it still wont engage after letting it run for half an hour and towing and shaking it. we replaced the auto flywheel on to the manual engine and replaced enerything carefully. this is a last resort please help if anyone had the experience.

Reply to
tony