Mazda 929 can anyone help?

Hi I just got a Mazda 929 (1993) I love the car! I have a problem though. I recently got new spark plugs new wiring etc done to the car.

But the car still feels like that it wants to stall out on me. I have to hit the gas to get it started, at a red light it "lugs" but once it gets going it goes great!

Would anyone know what the problem is? Of course when I take it to my mechanic it doesn't do this.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Susan

Reply to
thunderstruck_29_

Fouling plugs? Remove them when this happens, see what they look like.

Tune up?

I just junked a 1990 929S, but I think yours was the newer swoopier body type. Don't know if they kept the same engine. I always had problems with one cylinder plug, due to an oil leak in that spark plug well.

Yours is a rare car, didn't run that model for too long, which doesn't make things easy, parts-wise.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

What kind of plugs and wires?

Aftermarket parts have gotten better than they used to be, but can still be hit or miss. After a couple bad experiences with aftermarket parts in Toyotas, I *never* use Champion or Bosch spark plugs. Most Jap cars specify Nippon Denso or NGK, so I stick with those.

Also, wires can be really funny. I try to get NGK wires, usually readily available on eBay for just about any car. Or, try to find an On-Line Mazda dealer and 'coerce' them into giving you a wholesale price. Chances are, they will.

I did a 'tune-up' on a Mazda 626 using NGK plugs and the 'better' wires from AutoZone. That was in December and the car's running great.

Too bad everyone wants $50 for the distributor cap!!!

Also, I would check the timing. But first, I'd take those Champions out! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Thank you for your help on this!

Timing and memory was out. Got it looked at and all fixed up and the Mazda works like brand new!

They replaced the ignition wires, spark plugs and ignition rotor and a distributor cap don't know what brand they put in.

The total for all that came up to 564.00

Thank you again for your responses!

Susan.

Reply to
Thunderstruck

$564.00!?!?!?!?! Just for those parts? Please tell me thay did something else at the same time!!!

I did a 'tune up' myself: plugs, wires, PCV valve, but no cap or rotor (Cap=$55, Rotor=$12) and spent a whopping $42!!!

A tune up on my 6-cyl Supra cost $155 for all the parts, including valve cover gaskets, but I had to remove the intake system from the car. Your guys would have probably charged $900 for that!!!

What kind of boat does he have? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

LOL...he has a nice boat! Nope that is all the parts they put in for me Guess prices are higher in Canada :)~ Oh they let me drive a shop car for the day guess they included rental prices with that. lol

Susan

Reply to
Thunderstruck

What did you mean by "memory" being out?

Also, for my 1990 929, goddamm spark plug wires *alone* were $150!!! Aftermarket were $125!! So the parts add up quickly. In my case, the spark plug wells were quite deep, so the wires had these long bakelite whatsits on'em, but still...

And, mazda parts, I was told by a couple of people who seemed to know about this, are among *the* most expensive. Up there with MB, bmw, volvo...

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Ah. Canadian, eh? Whereabouts? I know Quebec and Ontario pretty well for a Yank...

And the boat reference goes back to Click and Clack, two engineers that have a radio show on NPR here in the states. Whenever someone tells them they got an outrageous quote from a mechanic, they always ask, "What kind of boat does he have?"

And, yeah, prices are more in Canada, eh? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

The ECU needed to be reset. Had to do that with my Supra, too. The ECM tries to 'compensate' for various conditions. When I did a complete tune-up on my Supra, it was still trying to fire plugs with a .080 gap! I tried timing it and someone suggested pulling the duse to the ECU, et, voila! Normal idle again!

The plugs for the Supra were $38, the wires from Toyota were $125 best price, so I got NGKs on eBay (NGK was the OEM supplier) for $54, cap was $16 and rotor was $7

Conversely, wires for my '89 626 were $38 (AutoZone), plugs were $6. The cap is $54!!! and the rotor $12!!! Needless to say for a $150 car I skipped the cap and rotor, but I'm thinking about shelling it out 'cause the car runs so damn good!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Flex the intake hose going from the aircleaner to the engine while the engine is idling. If the engine tries to die, you have a crack in that hose, introducing "false air" past the mass airflow sensor. Duct tape and good surface prep will fix this problem for cheap.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish