Mazda 929 Engine Problem

1989 Mazda 929, 18V SOHC engine. 123K, well maintained (but not used a lot lately). Took the car out for a ride today. Stopped at a store, when I came out car was a little difficult to start but fired up. Right away I felt a severe lack of power and engine would not rev up past about 3K. Drove to a gas station to fill up since the car really did sit for about 2 months and fuel was a bit low. Filled up, car wouldn't start. Crank and sputter. Called for a tow. While waiting, I did get it going again but severe lack of power, I was able to move the car but just barely. Check of trans fluid did not show any loss or burnt fluid. Oil in engine was fine too. With engine idling, quickly pressing acc to the floor doesn't do much, it will eventually rev up but runs very very rough. Feathering it will let engine rev but not cleanly. Could a timing belt jump cause this type of sudden problem? Weak fuel pump? I thought of a bad igniter but think if it was bad I'd never get it running. I'm leary of the timing belt since the place that did the job didn't do a very good job, lots of evidence of sloppy workmanship. Guidance sought and greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Rich M

Check the fuel pressure. May be as simple as a restricted fuel filter.

Reply to
Harry Balzak

Reply to
Rich M

To add some information. I started the car and it is idling OK. While the engine is cold, manually moving the throttle it just won't speed up. Idle drops and gets rough. Once up to normal operating temp, I can get the engine to speed up but only if left in neutral or park. If I speed it up a bit in neutral or park and shift into gear I can move the car a bit. I swapped out the Mass air flow sensor with known good. No change. There's a little smoke coming from the area of the tranny dip-stick that appears to be the result of oil leaking past the valve cover gasket. I can't see any electrical stuff there that might be damaged. Changed my email return address, remove the nospam but leave the period. Thanks Much.

Reply to
Rich M