Mazda B2600 engine oil use

I had my B2600 engine (1991 truck) rebuilt at 95,000 miles (water leak, cracked head). Spent $ 2,100. Upon rebuild (I did the R&R) it immediately used a lot of oil. I pulled it back out and the re-builder tore it down and told me he got some 'mis-marked' rings, and therefore some were installed backwards. Put engine back in (getting a lot faster at it).

It's been 10,000 miles and the engine still uses a lot of oil, although not as much. Most of the oil is being burned right at startup after an overnight rest. I talked to the re-builder about whether seals had been put on the valve stems and he replied that he "never does that on a Mazda". I go through a quart about every 3-400 miles. I think that is excessive. Additionally, the car 'pinged' right from the start. No amount of reasonable timing delay solves the pinging. I can delay it until there is no ping, but, the car runs awful and won't go much over 50 mph if it is retarded.

Have moved out of state since the rebuild and therefore not practical to go back to the re-builder. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Does anybody know whether valve stem seals were used on this model?

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

immediately

I hate to confirm what you probably already suspected, but any rebuilder that dosen't replace a wearable item like a valve stem seal during an engine rebuild of a 95,000 mile block is irresponsible in the extreme. I don't know if your engine has no valve stem seals, but I can't imagine what else they would use to seal them.

Did they mill the head? Or the block? Did they use a too-thin head gasket? Were the pistons changed?

Frankly your screwed. Unless your doing your own work your going to spend less money just buying oil on sale at the local Walmart or some such and just keep pouring it in. I buy oil for about a dollar a quart, when it is on sale here. If your going 400 miles per quart, when you should be going at least 3000 miles per quart like most people, that is only $7 more that your spending in oil in between oil changes than most people spend.

Assuming a valve seal job would cost you maybe $800 the payback on that seal job would only start happening after 342,000 miles and from the sound of it I strongly doubt your going to get that many miles out of this rebuild.

Let this be a lesson to you - if you have problems with a rebuilt engine don't wait around for things to get better, get right on it with the rebuilder immediately, don't let it sit around and get stale.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Very poor answer. This "rebuilder" is a quack.

Very poor answer. This "rebuilder" is a quack.

Head was shaved too much. Should have been straightened and then only minimally shaved. See if a head gasket shim is available.

Yes they were.

Don

Don