MEGANE GURU SOUGHT - RELAYS STOP WORKING SOMETIMES (MOST TIMES)

I'm trying to fix a friends megane before he has to scrap it. Its a shame because its pretty clean car.

Whats happening is that the WIPER relay,

the HAZARD LIGHT / INDICATORS relay,

the CENTRAL LOCKING relay,

a FUEL INJECTION relay

and the DRIVERS ELECTRIC WINDOW relay,

all decide to stop working intermittently. The car won't start if the problem is present, but if the car is already running when the problem shows up, it will keep running okay, (although as stated none of the relay related functions can be carried out).

Not only that, the relays will remain in ther present condition when the fault shows up. In other words, if the wipers are on or the indicators ar on, when the fault appears, even switching these devices off doesn't affect them. They will keep wiping and flashing no matter what I do with the control switches.

The problem is that the fault is now present about 99% of the time. This means that I can't even get it started most of the time. I end up switching the hazard lights on, (although they obviously won't actually flash while the fault is present), I then go and sit in the house, looking out the window.

Once I see the hazards starting to flash, I know I can quickly run out and get the car started. If I'm not quick, I miss the opportunity and have to wait maybe another 2 or 3 hours. I'm tempted to fit a new Body Control Unit and an Injector Module, but would like to be convinced that that will sort it out.

Any advice? Thanks

Reply to
Alabastar

I have no idea what a Megane is, but the trouble you are describing is typuical of a faulty ground point. If there is a body module common to all of these failing devices, I would check for voltage at the B+ and ground wires feeding the module. B+ is obviously good on the B+ wires, and less than .25 volts on the ground wires while the problem is occuring is normal. High voltage on the ground wires indicates a faulty ground path.

It's unlikely that all of these are operated through a "body" module, but perhaps there is a common ground point to all relays involved. The other possibility is that all of these relays are in the same relay box and they all share a common power strip internally which is intermittently flaking out. I would consult a wiring diagram if possible.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Renault Megane car.I looked it up at a search engine. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I emailed him privately about this one. Megane was a good car. Won an award for crash survival, IIRC.

I dont think they are available in the USA. Generally Renault and Peugeot are not marketed here. And it is a shame. Good cars now, crappo a couple of decades ago.

Reply to
<HLS