metal filings in oil ... is bad?

('99 Cav, 100K)

Changing my oil today, I noticed what appear to be metal filings on the tip of the (magnatized???) drain plug. I think I would have noticed this before, if they'd been there. But, you never know.

- Is the drain plug supposed to be magnetized? I don't remember that, either. I suppose it would be a good way to tell if you had metal filings, but other than that, ...

- I recently had to replace the cam position sensor (CMP). The replacement was from a junkyard, but I got it from the same year and engine, and it looked the same. The interesting thing is, the CMP _is_ magnetized. Possible clue?

I guess I should take the CMP out and look at it. Alas.

Any thoughts appreciated.

George

Reply to
George

Filings are not good. BUT unless there are a lot of them it is probably nothing important.

Yep, Most drain plugs are magnetic tipped.

Normal. The CMP has a coil in it that creates a magnetic field that changes as the cam moves. That change is what it actually senses.

Reply to
Steve W.

When you scrapped the fillings off the plug with your finger, were that hard metal particles, maybe sharp, or was the material more like a paste, soft?

disston

Reply to
disston

Sad to say, I don't know. My (limited) powers of observation had apparently gone out for lunch right then. About all I can say is that I didn't NOTICE any sharpness to them when I cleaned them off. I suspect sharp would be worse?

George

If there are large sharp bits there is likely something wrong. If you're looking at what is essentially metal dust mixed with oil (a paste) or a dust like one would find in those magnetic children's toys, I would shrug it off as normal wear.

Reply to
Brent P