Mexican Gas.

Some people in San Diego are crossing the border into Mexico to fill up on Mexican gas.(Diesel fuel too) Isn't that Mexican gas a lower quality of gas than the gas which is sold in America? Would there be any long term harmful effects of useing that Mexican gas in American vehicles? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Mike Walsh

try to avoid using Canadian gas. Its $139.9 per liter at most service stations in saskatoon. x 3.78541 that's about canadian $5.29 a gallon. x 0.97267 to make it into US dollars $5.14 a gallon

In Grand Forks North Dakota its 3.99 per gallon.

as for it damaging sensors or the catalytic converter. I have never heard of that. I think vehicles are manufactured in all 3 countries and they can be sold in any of the 3 countries without modification. Except Canada has stricter anti theft device legislation so some fairly new vehicles cannot be imported to Canada, although there is no problem for a united states resident driving his car to canada on vacation. (as if 3.99 isn't enough)

boxing

Just got back from Mexico. Gas there is about $2.50 per gallon, because the Mexican government subsidizes it. Pemex produces the oil and refines it, and is an arm of the government.

There is nothing wrong with their gasoline.

Reply to
HLS

Mike Walsh wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

The warnings refer to the use of MMT, which causes lumpy, rusty-looking deposits to form on the inlet side of the cat honeycomb. These deposits eventually wear off once the use of MMT is stopped.

Canadian unleaded gas used MMT in place of TEL from about 1975 to 2003, but has not had MMT since 2003. MTBE and ethanol are used now, same as US gas.

I don't know if the Mexicans are still using MMT, or if they ever used it. I've heard their octane and detergent levels are not up to our standards.

Reply to
Tegger

I believe that MTBE is gone from US fuel now. Too many issues with it getting into municipal water supplies.

Reply to
Busman

MTBE just about killed Lake Tahoe, with those motorboats and jetskis. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin