Michelin/Goodyear on Jeep Gr Cherokee?

Need to replace original tires (Goodyear Wrangler AP) on 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Don't put on a lot of miles (7,000/yr) Live in Boston area. Priority are safety, quiet and then performance Very, very little off road Good in snow and rain important

I started looking for new tires a couple of months ago. Got confused with all the alternatives and quit. :-(

At that time had narrowed it to:

Michelin LTX MS Goodyear Fortera Goodrich Longtrail

but have no confidence those are the "best" alternatives.

Any advice or how to research appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Norm Harris

"Norm Harris" wrote

IMHO, Goodyear Wranglers are one of the best tires made. I have a friend who go 90K miles from the OEM set on his Expedition. I have gotten 60K out of sets. I like Michelin a lot, but run Goodyear truck tires. Only problem with Wranglers from your point of view is that they aren't really a good tire in snow (treads don't clean themselves, rubber isn't right "temperature", not enough sipes).

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Approximately 9/18/03 13:22, fbloogyudsr uttered for posterity:

I've run both of those on a Grand, and there is really no comparison between the Goodyear and the Michelin, with the Goodyear not even in the same league as either a Michelin or Pirelli.

The Michelin AT is a bit better on snow than the MS and so is the Pirelli Scorpion AT. However the MS isn't that bad for deep wet snow and all three are good for rain. All three also have very "on rails" drive feeling on the Grand. If you need a bit better snow traction, consider the Michelin Alpin which is still pretty quiet on the highway, altho it won't wear as long as the other three.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I have the LTX M/S on a Dodge RAM. It is quite a capable tire in both snow and light offroad and on the street. Of course it's not perfect at either type of operation but it's quite a good compromise.

As you are looking for a pure street tire you might want to look at tires with more focus on street operation.

Chris

Reply to
Christian Huebner