Mid section of the exhaust is toast, cat converter a suspect? or just the age...

the midsection then. Dealer wants $40. I've got an aftermaket one for abou t $13.

around here)

ompact I'm tempted

shift. Not long after that I replaced that engine, but before I put the muf fler back on, that car would make some 'satisfying backfireing sounds'. Eve r since then I don't do any 'back fireing with my vehicles.

That's a Tree House.

Reply to
JR

which is a fundamentally retarded concept in the first place. and tells you a whole lot about its design principles...

just face it - if you're driving a car that has a 1-2 split in the exhaust, you're destined to pay through the nose for it for the rest of its life - the vehicle is the product of marketing, not engineering, and it's designed to suck the contents of your wallet accordingly.

Reply to
jim beam

Only if you want to. Just about any muffler shop can cheaply make up a good exhaust with common parts - if the cat isn't somehow tied to engine controls, requiring dealer parts, and you need a cat. Last year when my '93 Grand Am got loud I had everything cat-back torn out - dual mufflers, and maybe "resonators" - and a single muffler put in. Shop had to do some welding. No dummy exhaust tip for the missing muffler. Like I care. Nice and quiet now. $198. Seemed fair.

Reply to
Vic Smith

But nothing says "I'm retarded" quite like dual stacks on a car. :)

Reply to
T0m $herman

How much does it cost to house and feed 16 Russians?

This is the Russian vehicle I really want: .

Reply to
T0m $herman

ye gods. but at least it's a v-motor - hopefully there's one stack connected to each bank.

Reply to
jim beam

that's what i'd do to a grand am. maybe not even that much. but for an audi pose-mobile, you got to stick with the program - if you want any chance of being able to sell it.

Reply to
jim beam

Like f*ck I'd care. Maybe it was a bit of a chick magnet in the first decade of its life (it's a wagon, so not very likely) but being married I could not care less if dual exhaust tips are gone etc to have this fixed on a budget.

Even given my very limited (at best) success with women I find it unsportsmanlike to use the ride as a bait. Even if was working (I don't think it is for a $10k car and like hell I'd dump more money into my transportation. Ain't happening.).

So I have to decide really if I'd keep it for a decade. If not maybe I'd resort to a muffler shop castration suggested. Otherwise the dealer is likely to see those $450.

tnx

Reply to
isquat

You might laugh but I saw a hogsley dudeson (or a jap wannabe) with the dualstacks shortly after I saw the post with that muscle abomination. I only wonder if it was "customized" that way locally or there was some retard in the states who did it and then promptly got rid of it after receiving this precise reaction.

Reply to
isquat