Mini cars traction on snow?

Two people with mini cars (Scion AWD, 2005 VW bug) both told me their cars had poor traction on snow. I thought an all wheel drive or a front wheel drive car would be good on snow.

Are these mini cars just to light weight for snow traction?

Even with my RWD Lincoln Town Car I get better traction with 2 sand bags in rear.

Reply to
J J

Car & Driver said the Audi TT was just barely drivable on the snow even with the Quattro. The only salvation you will find is in real snow tires. These cars are just too light to make their presence known to the road.

Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

Yup, what he said. Traction in snow is a function of how wide the tires are, more than anything else. Light weight plus wide tires = no traction.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Their tires are too wide.

Reply to
Steve Austin

I have a 98 Neon, a subcompact. I get GOOD traction in the snow. While it is true a light car has less tractive force than a heavy one, it needs proportionally less tractive force to move it. Percent of weight (not total wieght) on drive wheels, and the particular tires, are the key. BTW, in response to the "too wide" tire comment, my car has wider tires than a standard Neon.

I have a steep drive, and when drive is snowy or icy I get up as good as, or better, than our minivan.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

If they have wide tread low profile tires then yes, I would expect that in snow and very wet conditions that traction would not be very good. Another problem working against many cars is low ground clearance - they quickly bottom out in snow or the front air dam starts acting like a mini snow plow.

Even if those cars are light in relation to others they still carrry a lot of weight. With the proper tires and reasonable ground clearance they should do as well in snow as a bigger car.

Reply to
John S.

With what tires? Put crappy tires on, and any car will have poor traction.

They can be. The engine being above the driving wheels means there is a good bit of mass pressing down on them.

Yup. You always will. The more mass you have over the wheels, the better traction, no matter what you're driving.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Except for a four-wheel drive. It is the percentage of weight over the drive wheels that counts, not the actual weight. In a four wheel drive vehicle, doubling weight does increase tractive force by factor of two, but also increases tractive effort needed to climb a given slope by two, or to accelerate at a given G-value.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota