Minimum Brake mesurments for PA state inspection? (2023 Update)

I took my car to a national chain repair centre.They said i need rear brake to be replaced for passing the inspection. Due to lack of time that day I said i will come later.Subsequently i went to a mechanic near my work place he said the rear brake measurement is 6/36 and doesnot need replacement. What is the minimim brake measurement for passing PA state inspection? Any suggestion or comments to get my ispection passsed Please share your thoughts. Thank you

Reply to
pegasus1

Take it to the shop as is and it will pass. Do you think they actually get out the micrometer and measure them? Inspections are a hassle for most shops and most are lucky if they break even with the price they're forced to do it at.

Reply to
Bob M.

PA. minimums are; Riveted - 1/32 Bonded - 2/32

Reply to
dahpater

No, we usually don't get the mic out for brake linings. (most of us don't use mic's for brake linings anyway) We do get the mic out for drums/rotors. Inspections are not a hassle. Here in PA., we are allowed to charge up to our hourly rate, and your allowed 2 in an hour. Stickers cost the shops a $1.00 ea. You can charge whatever you want, up to your hourly rate. Most shops don't charge the hourly rate because most of the time it is to much. Inspections are very competitive here. Emissions tests are part of the inspection and are extra. Inspections are good for keeping junk of the road, and keep shops busy. But of course there are the "abusers" of inspections.

Reply to
dahpater

and your allowed 2 in an hour. (per inspector)

Reply to
dahpater

How many are you allowed in an hour?

Reply to
clifto

It's probably 6/32" and is a lot of brake material.

Reply to
John S.

hourly rates around here are $100 per hour for independent shops, dealerships $125 an up. Go to a body shop they are $50 to $60. Mechanic walks out to Snap-on truck and and buys a tool for $100 body pays the price, Go figure.

Reply to
ex body tech