Minvan stalling

We have a 1997 Mercury Voyager minivan with a 3.0 engine and about

66,000 original miles. The van willl occasionally stall on the highway...the engine surges once or twice and then shuts down at highway speeds. We coast to a stop and pull off the highway, wait five minutes or so and then it starts up and runs normally. Is this is common problem for this van? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

Perhaps it has an identity crisis?

Mercury had a Villager in '97 Plymouth had a Voyager in 1997

Both had an available 3.0 engine so I'm not sure which brand you had. Can you clarify?

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Change the fuel filter lately?!

Reply to
thenitedude

And that will make a difference in your diagnosis?

Reply to
Woody

That is impossible to say. Have you had the codes pulled? It could be an ignition problem, fuel problem or anything else and no it is not a common problem in any van or car.

Reply to
Woody

It is a Mercury VIllager, not a Voyager.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

there seem to be a lot of fuel problems and not as many electrical problems. i think i would check the fuel pressure. If its low it could be a defective fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

Reply to
boxing

Yes it would. See follow up post

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I saw in your other post that this is a Mercury Villager. The Villager has a somewhat common problem with the photo optics in the distributor getting dirty and causing all sorts of strange problems like this. The bearing in the distributor also likes to konk out causing weird problems as well. As other posters have already pointed out this could also be a fuel issue or any of a gazillion other things as well.

If you don't plan to fix the issue yourself I would take it to a Nissan dealer (the Villager is a rebadged Nissan Quest) as they see a lot more of this engine and might be more familiar with its quirks.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Highly probable. No sense in speculating about a problem with a hall-effect sensor if the vehicle actually uses an optical sensor for that function.

No use talking about a MAP sensor unless it does indeed have a speed-density system instead of a mass flow system.

No sense talking about a distributor if the engine in question has distributorless ignition.

No use talking about a fuel pressure regulator unless there's one in the system.

Need I go on?

Woody wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Someone wrote: (1997 Mercury Voyager Minivan 3.0L 66k miles)

It occasionally stalls during highway driving. The engine surges once or twice and then shuts down. We coast to a stop off the highway, wait five minutes or so and then it starts up and runs normally. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. __________________________________________________________

In my many past vehicles whenever I came across these symptoms it was almost always due to a failing ignition module (or TFI module). The intermittent failure is hard to reproduce in an electrical test, so I made a habit of just throwing in a new module. It usually solved the problem.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan