missing fresh air intake

i recently bought a 1999 econoline and notice the fresh air intake snorkel is missing, is this part really needed. i don't know why it was taken off. some people tell me force cool air into the thottle body makes for better gas mileage, others say theirs no differances.

Reply to
danw64

The air silencer forward of the air filter? Some think that removing the restriction allows for better air flow and more horsepower with the downside of more noise. The data I've seen with mustangs has been from slight improvement in HP to slight loss of HP.

Reply to
Brent P

Without it your drawing in HOT air from around the engine instead of the colder air from the front of the vehicle. It also quiets the intake noise as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

I know that those 'snorkels' and fresh air scoops are really good at ingesting water in some vehicles. Some Jeeps for instance have/had them just below the headlight on top of the bumper line so any water that got splashed over the bumper from a puddle or creek gets instantly sucked into the engine which can be pretty bad news. The engine hydrolocks which normally destroys it.

Jeep stopped putting the hose on them for this reason but left the rest of the parts in place. We now check every one before allowing them to follow on a wet trail on organized trips.

Mike

Mike Romain