Mixing Tire Sizes

I have a 1987 Corolla 4 door hatchback which came with 155SR13 tires. These are becoming very difficult to find. The car has two good rear tires but needs front tires. Can I put a different size tire on the front, such as 155-80-B13, or is this a bad idea?

Reply to
buschnotbush

front...

Since the Euro-metric naming convention assumes an aspect ratio of 82 if none is specified, I'd guess that a P155-80SR13 would be pretty similar.

If that B-as-in-Baker isn't a typo, then *that* would be a bad idea: it stands for Belted bias. Mixing bias ply and radial tires on a vehicle is so deeply frowned upon that I never put it to empirical test during the time period when both were readily available (I wouldn't even know where to get a bias ply tire meant for everyday street use on a passenger car anymore).

See for instance

Cheers,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

155/80 is about the same, but use radials (where do you find bias tires these days?) 175/70R13 will also work if you are replacing all four and your rims are wide enough to carry them.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You cannot mix bias ply with radials. The vehicle will not be safe to drive. You have to go all 4 either radial or bias ply.

Changing sizes on two also will make it handle strange, but maybe ok....

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain