Modern day cars,

nowadays, you have to wet nurse them all the time.

I say bring back the Good old Ford Model Ts.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Can I get a HELL YEA

Reply to
anniejrs

Aw, c'mon. Remember having to do a tune-up twice a year? Flooding carburetors? Brake fade? Putting in a quart of oil every thousand miles? Rust that starts in the showroom?

My one concession is that when something does go wrong nowadays, there is more head scratching in the diagnosis and probably more wallet exercise in the repair. But from a simple standpoint of getting out of bed on a cold morning and knowing you will get to work, or shutting down on a hot afternoon and knowing you can get a first-bang restart, or sending little Pumpkin off to college knowing that remembering to check the oil once in a while is all the maintenance that will likely be needed until spring break, cars have never been better.

An epochal example of "appropriate technology" in its day, but in most usage scenario,s its day actually ended some years before the car's production run, allowing competitors to steal a march on Ford.

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Exactly right. And that modern ease of care goes even with my 12 and

19 year old daily drivers. You hit the high spots about what had to nursed on older cars, but just about everything else failed more quickly too. Nope, don't want to go back. For old time's sake I wouldn't mind taking a spin in a replica of the '64 Olds Holiday 88 I had. But I don't want it my garage.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Nonsense.

Ts.www.barefootsworld.net/ford-t-specs.html

hell No

Reply to
Nicholas

I have heard folks say, "they don't make cars like they used to." I say thank god. My more recent cars far exceed the quality and longevity of the cars I used to own. One used to be lucky to get 100K miles. Today, the cars are still like new at that milage. I just sold an 11 year old Neon with 145K on it, and there was no RUST on it at ALL. Never had cars in the old days that didn't have SOME rust on them when they got three to four years old. I remember putting rod bearings on flathead Ford V8s at forty to fifty K miles, and replacing water pumps every three years or so. Points and plugs frequently. Valve jobs seem to have become a thing of the past.

Reply to
Don Stauffer