Modifying a BMW Z3

Greetings all

Does anyone have any idea as to modifying Bimmers?

FWIW, I have '97 Z3 1.9 4cyl. It's prob worth about $15K (Australian), and I'm not in the position to upgrade to a newer car anytime soon, as I'll likely be going overseas in the next 2 years.

Also, sad as it sounds, I've had it since new & have a lot of memories with the old girl, so whilst the most sensible thing would be to throw another $10K at it & trade up to the 2.8 6cyl... i've started thinking about keeping her, and may be modifying it.

Performance-wise, it's a 136hp engine stock, so ideally I'd like to get about 30% more power. Would this be achievable with simple mods like a cold air intake, extractor/exhaust work, & ECU remapping?

I'm open to suggestions - I've read/heard a lot of differing opinions on how much/little that can be done for this engine?

I'm not too keen on forced induction - I've believe there is a supercharger kit for this engine - as it would create some insurance hassles; but nonetheless may consider it

Handling wise I was interested in looking uprgrading the springs & perhaps shock absorbers. I'd also like an opinion on the usefulness of fitting sway bars/urethane bushes.

I'm not looking at taking the car to the track, just want it to handle a bit better

Opinions/suggestions?

TIA

Rick Hunter

| Does anyone have any idea as to modifying Bimmers? add 4ws

Reply to
TE Chea

You can try putting on a 'BMW Cold Air Intake'

I just had minelast month. And, it?s absolutely great. :sunglasse

Reply to
Jackiesh