Mopar A/C Compressor Clutch Question?

Gentlemen;

On a 1999 Dodge Durango w/5.9L V8 the A/C clutch is failing. Dealer wants to replace compressor quoting $1000. My question is:

Is the clutch assembly replacable on this compressor OR must entire compressor be replaced? Is dealer fleecing me?

Please reply? Thanks.

Reply to
Bob Mariotti

Bob Mariotti writes in article dated Thu, 28 Jul 2005

11:07:59 -0400:

In general, AC clutches are replaceable independent of the compressor. I have no specific info on your '99 Dodge.

In your case, I wonder why it's "failing" as opposed to "failed". If the coils short out, they don't come back. If it's slipping -- why? It's possible that the compressor does have a problem.

But since replacing the clutch is so much less expensive, it's probably wise to try that first.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon