more fuel-saving bullshit (lowered suspension)

This blurb:

claims lowering a Camaro an inch improved fuel consumption 13% !!!

I really doubt this, unless you drive around at twice the speed limit. Besides, I have conflicting information in various forums that lowering a road car (with irregular underbody) may increase turbulence.

Reply to
pedro1492

I would agree that it probably has little effect on fuel consumption. But isn't the point of HAVING a lowered Camaro to drive around at twice the speed limit?

Depends a lot on the underbody, but yes. That's why those plastic guards exist, to try and get laminar flow underneath.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Lowering the car reduces "frontal area". Car will get better fuel economy... and have (yippee!) a higher top speed!

Stock 1971 Datsun 240Z... top speed 124 mph... fuel economy under easy highway driving-- 28 mpg (imperial gallons).

Same car with only a change out to Mullholland short springs... top speed increased to 132 mph (6.45%)... fuel economy under easy highway driving went up to 31 mpg (imperial gallons) (10.71%).

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Anything you can do to reduce aerodynamic drag will increase mpg and mph for the same power. The higher the speed the more the aero effects the car. Easy to see this by watching nascar. They add a couple strips of tape and gain speed.

Does altering the aerodynamics make a big difference at normal street speeds? That all depends on the vehicle. Most modern vehicles are pretty slick from the start. Lowering might help, but it can cause a lot of headaches as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

I Agree with what Steve W. said.

Reply to