Most cars in Europe have manual trannies?

That's crazy talk! XBox 360 and Usenet users must never meet. Things are just blown to shit as it is already. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

hey dude, i just give you the facts. if you're not interested, that's up to you. just don't try giving your opinions as if they were facts - especially when they're completely underinformed.

well, apparently it doesn't have benefits for people that don't know how to drive.

ghetto indeed - that explains a lot.

Reply to
jim beam

you're an engineer nate, so here's a little math problem for you.

if engine braking is "x" and [unlocked] torque converter losses are "y",

does x = x + y when y > 0?

my automatic civic engine brakes just fine simply taking your foot off the gas. thanks. and it engine brakes a whole lot better if you nudge it down a gear.

using 50's detroit technology as a basis for an "opinion" on current vehicle technology is ridiculous. it's like using the p-51 as a yardstick against the f16.

then you're either

  1. driving something woefully worn and out of spec,
  2. you're lying, or
  3. you have some kind of physical/mental condition[s] getting in the way of your ability to experience what the rest of us are.
Reply to
jim beam

nate's stuck in the 50's.

Reply to
jim beam

psnip]

There's always the bus.

Some people take pride in doing things well. Not necessarily racing, but I don't need a cheap microprocessor trying to second guess how I'm driving.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

how's that bicycle working out for you? even carbs have an [analog] computing function.

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
dsi1

You miss the implied point of nearly every Nate post; self- aggrandizement.

********************

It is quite obviously his entire raison d'etre.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

Don't you get the sneaking suspicion that the inebriant's namesake fraud hasn't a clue to either what P.E. (or for that matter E.I.T.) either signifies or constitutes.and as likely wouldn't comprehend the distinction between a laplace and a fourier transform.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

you mean you /wish/ you'd had the talent for a career in script writing.

Reply to
jim beam

as opposed to someone thrusting their childish idiocy forward as if it were some badge of honor? yeah, no logical dissonance there.

Reply to
jim beam

Yet again you peg the hypocrisy meter.

Your ironic broaching of the concept provides proof positive that you don't understand it.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

Paul.....what type of engineer are you?

Reply to
me

since your seem to lack the IQ to write something original you could improve on my diatribe (that you so carelessly snipped)

Reply to
AD

Well, apparently the Japanese do a better job of desigining an automatic transmission then.

My point was that the 50's Detroit technology is more pleasant to drive than current Detroit technology. That I believe is certainly a fair comparison. If Detroit can't provide a more pleasant driving experience than they did 60 years ago, perhaps they don't deserve to stay in business (when it's clear that some other mfgrs can, that is - reference the 70's for an example of what happens when technology is legislated.)

None of the above. I have experienced the effect I've described above in every recent (recent being 2005ish or later) GM FWD sedan, with the Impalas (both current and previous body style) being exceptionally awful. I'm not lying or driving anything worn, the transmissions just suck.

I haven't had the opportunity to drive any of the Fords, so I can't say whether it's just a GM thing or if Ford's doing it too.

nate

Reply to
N8N

It ain't the processor, it's that the guy (or girl, or group of people) programming the unit likely has different criteria than you the user do.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You already did, Evelyn:

From: Nate Nagel Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:15:05 -0500

"Most autoboxes suck. Most modern autoboxes suck..."

dmode=source

Now you report you lack any method to have learned that which you have purported to know. Again. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

How do you know you drive well...? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

My point was that the 50's Detroit technology is more pleasant to drive than current Detroit technology. That I believe is certainly a fair comparison. If Detroit can't provide a more pleasant driving experience than they did 60 years ago, perhaps they don't deserve to stay in business (when it's clear that some other mfgrs can, that is - reference the 70's for an example of what happens when technology is legislated.)

  • Autombiles are, in just about every imaginable respect, orders of magniitude superior today to what they were in the 50's. There is a word for your ilk in common parlance, luddite. Now, off with you, retire to the Studebaker garage.

nate

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

ok, i get it - you're not the single male aspergers "engineer" type i used to assume - you are in fact my grandmother. she hates my honda, which has steering feedback up the wazoo - and she loves her huge floaty and completely steering feedback insulated crown vic.

hi granns!

your opinion of their transmissions sucks.

so when you said "Most modern autoboxes suck", that was in fact just ignorant speculative opinion based on a sample size of one. way to go nate.

Reply to
jim beam