Motor Oil in Power Steering Fluid

Okay, it was dark, and I poured a little motor oil in the wrong spot.

What is going to happen?

How can I get it fixed?

Reply to
josephleesheldon

Depends on what your car specifies. If it specifies ATF, probably nothing. If it uses mineral oil, you might have some seal issues.

Drain the whole P/S system ASAP and refill with the correct fluid. Drive car. Keep fingers crossed.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

It's a 2003 GMC Sonoma. I got a ride to work, so don't know what type it uses.

Reply to
josephleesheldon

Yes

Reply to
<HLS

In my experience, GM requires 'power steering fluid' and doesn't tolerate hydrocarbons oils, including automatic transmission fluid, very well.

Admittedly, I have not researched the chemistry of 'power steering fluid' yet, but I will do that because I am interested what the difference really is.

I would have it flushed out and replaced with proper 'power steering fluid'. Doesn't have to be GM brand, or anything like that, but it may save you some hoses and leaks later on.

Reply to
<HLS

In short, I haven't yet found what makes 'power steering fluid' special, but have confirmed from charts that your vehicle specifies it.

ATF used to be used in most applications, but that isn't the case now. It is reported that ATF can attack some seals, etc and I have personally seen early failures which I accept may have been caused by the use of improper fluids.

It wouldn't cost you much to flush it out and refill, and could save you dollars down the road.

Reply to
<HLS