My 1999 Toyota 4Runner digital clock is kaput (any ideas?)

I know. My 1985 Corolla and my 1995 Tercel were both recalled for the EXACT SAME THING! Ten years apart, and you would think they would learn to tighten the ground screw on the radio antenna properly!

Jeeze, I tell ya.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

The widow could stand some repairing, but I wouldn't want to suggest it though ~ Wallace Beery - Stablemates movie. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Reply to
Ron D.

In that it.....?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Over on the Toyota forums, people rewire the Toyota digital clock circuit board for free!

It's a very common problem with Toyota.

There is also a $30 service that will re-wire the clock for you.

But since you posted in a.h.r, you should be able to solder the circuit board yourself and you get four solid genuine silver springs for free out of the deal!

Read the DIY:

SF Man

H: There is fundamental physics behind the fix. I've fixed a toyota clock, an Hp calculator and bike speedometer that way. Circuitry must be CMOS.

Reply to
Ron D.

The experts at sci.electronics.repair do. How about ToyotaNation.com?

I'd check solder joints and electrolytic capacitors. Clocks have one voltage regulator for the logic, and it could be a 5V linear one or a switching regulator. The display uses either high voltage DC for fluorescent displays, a low voltage (roughly 15V) AC source for LCDs. Any switching regulator can have electrolytic capacitors wear out. Replace them with Japanese ones from Mouser.com, BDent.com, or DigiKey.com.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I fixed the $250 Toyota digital clock, for free! The problem was the power connection is flaky. I removed four silver springs. I then pulled the pins off the harness connector. I soldered those pins onto the Toyota digital clock circuit board.

When I put it all back together, the clock magically works now.

Here's the DIY I followed.

fix-3.html

Reply to
Y Knot