my beater's engine won't crank

Turned on the key: the lights are on the dash but the engine does not crank:

had that problem when I drove car last night, wiggled battery cables in the engine bay and it cranked and started back then. Albeit with that awful (grinding?) sound (starter?) typically makes on most cars when the engine is already running.

hence I *suspect* the starter is toast rather than battery discharged (haven't measured the voltage yet, had no voltmeter handy)

that's a fiat 124 knockoff predating electronic ignintion (and fwd panacea)

ideas?

Reply to
AD

the wire going into the starter apparently goes through the connector at the bottom of the engine bay where crap picked up from the roadway accumulates

anyhow, reaching down and doing a few back and forth actions with the wire does the starting trick :-]

Reply to
AD

Sounds like the cable to the starter might have a loose connection. Check t he nut to the starter lug.

Reply to
dsi1