My car needs CPR

Your first post merely mentioned that the voltage looked okay on the dash gauge. That is in no way even remotely close to performing a proper load or conductance test or starter draw test.

Not mentioned in the first post...

No, it's best to systematically test and rule things out.

They went a little longer than that...

The fuel pressure is?

On the top of the fuel rail, the end opposite where the fuel line attach. There is a small vacuum line connected to it. The underhood vacuum label/diagram should show it.

Now you're pulling our legs.

This doesn't work like some South Seas island, you won't appease the automotive gods by throwing virgins down the volcanoes...

You mentioned that the check engine light doesn't work. As a GM Certified Master Technician, Chevrolet Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Master Technician w/L1, IM-240 referee, trainer for a major diagnostic equipment manufacturer and all around real nice guy, I can not express how important it is to begin with the non functioning check engine light. If it is jut a burned out bulb, the worst that you would accomplish is that you'd stand half a chance of extracting any trouble codes. If it's -not- a burned out bulb, the diagnostic routine for that failure would probably lead you to the reason for the no start condition.

1985 was not the best years for GM, their systems were by todays standards, shoddy. Something as cheap and simple as a shorted EGR solenoid could kill the entire system and cause a no start.

Stop guessing, stop throwing parts at it, there isn't any silver bullet. Test and verify. Fuel, spark, compression. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Something is missing from the above line.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes... You want to go from the positive side of the battery, directly to the start, bypassing the cables and solonoid.

Reply to
Noozer

Reply to
Detta

So you are saying you didnt have a cranking problem at all? It was a starting problem?

Reply to
hls

Oh scheidt....Those years must have really been bad ;>)

Reply to
hls

I don't buy that for a second if what you have written here is the truth.

A bad fuel pump does 'not' make for a slow starter, period.

You are being suckered or you asked here for the wrong advise by giving the wrong symptoms...

Mike

Mike Romain

"Detta" wrote: My (1985 chevy celebrity 2.8 V6 FI) won't start. It cranks slightly but won't turn over. There is spark at the plug wires. It does not sputter, click or backfire badly. The battery shows good on the dash meter. Battery posts are not corroded. __________________________________________

Sincere contributors wrote: < Many suggestions on starter system problems >

Detta wrote: I finally took my car to a mechanic. My fuel pump was out. LOL. LOL. I pick my car back up Monday. __________________________________________

"Mike Romain" wrote: A bad fuel pump does 'not' make for a slow starter. You asked here for the wrong advice by giving the wrong symptoms... __________________________________________

Sad, but true. What a letdown to discover that time was wasted trying to help someone who didn't have the courtesy or the intelligence to describe the actual symptoms when asking for advice.

LOL, my ass.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Reply to
Detta

I find it hard to have sympathy for someone selfish enough to think their genes are so important that they need to have eight children.

nate

Detta wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I tried to explain all I could. I don't know how things are supposed to sound or not sound and if my idiot ex had not left me with 8 freakin kids then maybe I would not have had to bother you! _____________________________________________

Eight? I hope a Chevy Celebrity is a station wagon.

No, you didn't explain all that you could. Even after being asked to describe specific symptoms on a list, you gave no response.

Don't be discouraged by this experience. You did the right thing asking for help. A lack of communication resulted in some unusable advice, but you kept trying until you found the solution. These are the marks of a true DIYer - asking for help and being persistent. Please visit again. And be persistent.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

You might be 'new' at this, but a little common sense should tell you that a fuel pump that sits in your gas tank has nothing to do with how the engine turns over when you try to start it and nothing happens.

We gave you advise on the premise that the engine wouldn't 'crank' over. That is why someone suckered you for a new starter and a new battery and new battery cables right?

To Quote your first post:

Step by step this is what the car is doing--

  1. put key in and turn
  2. it cranks slightly
  3. it tries to turn over but won't

End Quote:

Now you imply that that wasn't the trouble after all, therefore the engine 'must' be turning over just fine when you hit the key.

If the engine 'isn't' turning over just fine when you turn the key, then the 'so called' mechanic is just plain ripping you off by changing the gas pump.

While he is making free money off you, he is also likely to just put a charge into the battery so it runs.

I for one asked more than once what happens if you give it a boost off another vehicle. You refused to answer that.

So basically you lied to us or someone else is making a fool out of you.

Mike

Mike Romain

I understand your predicament, and applaud your courage in asking for help here.

Lots of men and women dont know the difference between 'crank' (not the powdered form, of course) and 'start'.

Professional mechanics vary in competence and basic honesty. Some are great, others probably should be in jail. When you take your car to a professional you should have every expectation that they will do the job properly and without jacking up the price needlessly. Unfortunately, as indicated earlier, this isnt always the case.

If you have any more problems, please feel free to come back here, and any of us will try to help. Communication was a problem here, but it isnt hopeless.

Reply to
hls

Agreed, Mike. On that engine, you either have enough fuel pressure to start or you dont. It is rather black and white. I ran into one once that would usually start perfectly, but sometimes wouldnt start at all. On measuring the pressure, it was marginal. When the fuel pump was pulled out of the tank, it had a crack in the case and replacement fixed the intermittent issue.

But as you say, it is usually not a slow start condition, as we would normally conceive it.

Reply to
hls

Too bad we scared her off, I would like to hear if she got it fixed.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Detta =C3=D1=D3=E1=CA: