My car runs rough when I turn on the ac... why?

I have an old 91 Toyota Camry with a V6 engine. It is a great running car except for a recent problem. I am finding that when I have the ac on, it runs very rough in idle. When I cut the ac off, it runs just fine. Is this because it is overcharged?? Any other possibility?

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
alkon

There is a mechanism that speeds up the idle when the AC is on to account for the extra load on the engine. Sounds like yours is broken. Should be a relatively inexpensive fix.

Reply to
E Meyer

Old collapsed motor mounts no longer absorb engine vibrations as well as when a car is new. If the AC is on the motor is working harder. Typically the problem is the very worst idling in drive with AC on.

Don

Don

I drove my car today and found that the idle was at 700 rpm with the ac on. Shouldn't it be higher? Also, I seemed to be getting some rough idling even with the ac off as well. I will investigate other causes of my problem in addition to the ac possibilities.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
alkon

Be sure not to follow up with the fix in typical Al Kondo style. Usenet is soley for your benefit. Thanks in advance.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish