My Introductory Post

Hello all,

I'm thinking about designing and building this car, which I think would be very cool. Here are some basics on it. I have some plans in mind for what I would like to build. Here's a kind of list of the things I would like to include. Can someone reply with comments on what would work well with this combination?

The basic car:

Engine: GM 350 Small Block (maybe LT1) (originally thought about 305 or 383) Transmission: TH350 Auto Trans Chassis: Custom Built using 2"x4"x 0.250" chassis tubing Rear End: 3.08:1 GM 10 bolt rear w/Posi (could also be 8 or 9" Ford 28 or 31 spline) Wheels: 15x7's Front & Rear Tires: Michelin 195/75R15's. Wheelbase: 113" Body: 4dr Sedan Steering: Power Steering, Flaming River Joints, Ididit Column, Flaming River Rack, Brakes: Type: Front Disc / Rear Drum Mfg: OEM/GM or Wilwood or Raybestos (maybe Superlite or Dynalite??) Size: 11" up Exhaust: Flowmaster Delta 40 or 50 series, 2 =BC" or 2 =BD" size? Suspension: Mustang II IFS, maybe Heidts or Fatmans ECM/ECU: General Motors (those made after 1987 to 1992?) sounds like #1227727, 7730 and 7747 all work. Ignition: HEI using MSD 6A or 6AL Gauges: VDO Cockpit Black Fuel: TBI or TPI? MAP or MAF? Rochester Q-Jet 4MV/M4MV/E4M (for carbs?) Fuel Tank Cap: 18 gal custom made Sound System: Pioneer KEH-P4020 w/ 4 or 5" Front's 6x9 Rear by Infiniti Kappa Filtration: K&N E-1650 14" filter ?? Options: Air Cond., Power Windows, etc. Intake: Edelbrock Performer, i.e. #2101 or #3101 Cooling: couldn't settle on a brand.. US Radiatior, Modine, Walker, Griffin, etc? Fan: SPAL 14 or 16"?? Paint: an interesting Red color called "Rosso Red" (Boyd Red is too expensive for me!) Seating: Recaro? Rear Bench. Heated Ft. seats? Power Seats?

Oh yeah, and I have a Saginaw 4spd Casting #3915032. The tailshaft is #3880042 or 3860042. The casting of the # isn't very clear. I have a TH350 from craigslist I got for $75. Someone had it on their '75 Camaro project. It needs some work but could be usable.

I'd like it to be able to handle 170mph, possibly up to 3200 rpm @ 60 or 65mph. Not that I'd drive that fast.. under 85 is the norm here.. any faster and you'd get busted. I'm not a track driver or street racer either. LoL.

I got other ideas but these are the basics. I have plans on what I'm putting in whatever engine I buy. I had a text file with a list of oddball parts that might go in the project. Need help with sorting out the details.. I'm a newbie! I don't wanna come off sounding like a troller for information.. but I'd like to get more ideas here.

Thanks in advance. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Greg B. Seattle, WA moc.oohay@1enwobg (backwards!)

Reply to
gbowne1

Well, the TH350 is a very reliable and strong transmission. A GM 350 c.i.d. is also a solid engine, and usually very easy to work on, as well as upgrade or maintain/repair.

Looking at your list, seems you have a lot covered with good parts and makers. A lot of what you'd like to use, however, will be very dependent on what body it all mounts to, and the frame you use to put it all on.

BTW, welcome to AF, there are some really knowledgeable people here.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

The first thing I'd have to ask is why? And second what type of body would you plan on putting on here? Coming from a racing background, I see lots of tube framed/chassised cars, but none would use .250 wall tubing, that would be extremely heavy.

Reply to
51_racing

I haven't yet picked a body, but I wanted to make sure I covered a wide range of selected components.

I was originally looking at the 1940 Chevy size & type of bodies.. but I know a few people very well who could make me any custom sheet metal panel I wanted for cost if I wanted to roll my own custom designed body. I'm always able to work out some deals.

I figured it might get pretty heavy, and I knew a lot of parts would be application specific. I'm much better at the actual #'s than I am the applications and technical specs.

I have a short list of what I wanted on and in my engine too. I figured since I already bought the heads and transmission(s) I wanted to use in the project, I'm starting to get there. A lot of the items I am into are the appearance group items, mirrors, lights, accessory controls and I usually pick what both looks good and works with the other stuff in the vehicle.

People for a long time have said to me to go find a already built car and the stuff I want in it for the first project. Yes, I could do that, but I don't intend to take more than 3 years to put this one together.. thats why I do the parts research before hand (as much as I can) so I know what I'm getting into before I start, while I gather all the tech help I can get. I'm no designer or engineer, i just do what I can to make use of what I can get. I'm not Boyd Coddington or a master builder like Jesse either. Sure would be nice tho. LoL.

We have a lot of junkyards and U pull-a-part's here in the area with scads of donor cars with parts to be had.

Greg

Reply to
gbowne1