My Transmission trouble with my Dodge

I have a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 gas with a 5.2 litre. I have been having troubles with the transmission. It is wet all over the bottom of the transmission and i can not find out where it is leaking from. It also slips and has a bad acceleration when the transmission fluid and filter get some mileage on them. When the fluid and filter are new it does very good. I can not figure out what the problem is and what i should do. Does anybody know of any way i can fix this problem without buying a whole new transmission?

Reply to
dodgeram150094

Sounds to me like (I think) you have a leak in your transmission.Some (automatic transmissions?) transmissions,if they are off kilter,or the engine? can suck the transmission fluid out of a transmisson.Am I right about that? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Sounds like you might be describing what can happen if a vacuum modulator perforates. That will suck the ATF into the manifold vacuum source. There is not always a sign of a leak when this happens.

Leaks can occur at a lot of places, like front and rear seals, shift arm shaft seals, pan gaskets, etc. Less frequent are cracks or faults in the case casting itself.

I want to think I have seen trannies blowing ATF out vents near the top of the unit, but I cant remember any particular instances of this for sure.

You need to clean off the tranny and get the unit up on a rack, with a good light and mirror.

Reply to
<HLS

If you can see fluid dripping from the bellhousing area it's probably a front seal; not much you can do but pull the trans and replace it. Other common leak sights on the Torqueflite are: Pan gasket Shift shaft seal(s) Dipstick tube Cooler line fittings Rear band anchor shaft

Best way to find leaks is to spray the entire transmission with aerosol brake cleaner, blow dry and use a mirror and flashlight to pinpoint the leak.

Slippage with aging fluid is usually a sign of shrunken/hardened internal seals. You might try an additive like Trans-X or Lucas to squeeze a few more miles from it before overhaul is needed.

Reply to
John Kunkel

No vacuum modulator on the Mopar Torqueflite.

Reply to
John Kunkel

My comment was a general response to cuhulins 'suck the transmission fluid' remark. If there is no vacuum modulator or other connection to the engine, then that eventuality can be ignored.

Reply to
<HLS

First off, are you sure its transmission fluid? It should be obvious (red versus brown), but the Mopar LA engine oil pressure senders are on top of the back of the block and if they leak, the oil runs down and does a very good imitation of a rear main seal leak or tranny front seal leak.

If the fluid is clearly red, then remove the torque convertor bolt access panel on the front flat face of the transmissioin, right below/behind the engine oil pan. If there is red fluid INSIDE the bellhousing, then you've got a front seal or pump-to-case seal leak. If its dry in there, then the most likely leak is either the pan gasket or the gear selector/kickdown lever shaft seals.

What concerns me is the comment that is "slips and has a bad acceleration" when the fluid and filter "get some mileage on them." Do you mean when the fluid is LOW (due to the leak)? Or is it truly just mileage related? Low fluid slipping I can understand, but slipping when the fluid and filter are older is odd and implies that maybe there's an internal leak or a weak pump so that the pressure drops whent he filter is a little obstructed. However, any slipping at all is a very very bad thing and will QUICKLY damage the clutch packs and/or bands.

Reply to
Steve