NAPA

I was at the NAPA store last Friday.New oil filter,air filter,fuel filter,pcv valve,upper and lower radiator hoses,a spray can of Gumout carburetor cleaner.All of those parts for my 1978 Dodge van.They didn't have the radiator hoses in stock.I phoned the store a few hours ago,the guy said the radiator hoses will be there tomorrow morning.Seems like a long time to me.Maybe I should have went to the O'Reilly's auto parts store? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Are you serious? You are complaning about the parts store not having parts in stock for a van that is almost 30 years old.

Reply to
jfrancis311

I am not complaining perse,but I really do need those new upper and lower radiator hoses.Especially the lower one.I have it tightened as much as I can and it still leaks.The metal hose clamp (where the hose connects to the bottom of the radiator) has eaten through part of the hose. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I would say next a.m. is reasonable for an out-of-stock part. After all, it's an older ride, and they may not have OEM stuff on hand for an old ride. I have an '89 Chevy, newer than yours, and occassionally run itno that. it NBD, IMO.

One thing I would suggest~~~~~~ If you can, take the part[s] with you. They may have been able to match a hose from yours if they had it to compare. I've done that a few times, while not "exact", the bends weren't off enough to impact the install.

As rides get older, parts for some of them just aren't in stock, that's the sad truth. sigh. But, if you can take items like hoses, belts, a few other parts with you, they be able to help. I've had good success with NAPA for similar items, but I prefer Carquest as my first option.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

If they have it tomorrow, your problem is solved. Sometimes you just get into one of those binds.

On my 97 Dodge Custom Van, I ran into a hose issue. NAPA had a part but it didn't fit...AT ALL. And they couldnt get a part that fit. Neither did Autozone.

I finally had to go to the Chrysler dealership and have him order an OEM part. Troublesome -yes! And it took several days...But that was my only option.

Reply to
<HLS

Did O'Reilly's have the same quality Gates hoses in stock?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I have heard that O'Reilly's is a cheapo joint. Dont know for sure, since we dont have many of them up here.

Reply to
<HLS

wrote in news:5ziQh.24140$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

They are deff. not a cheep place, but when I absoultly have to have it they usually will have it in stock when the others dont. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I would call O'Reilly a pretty good mid-tier auto parts store. A little below NAPA and Carquest, but still orders of magnitude better than Autobone or Schlep Boyz. O'Reilly was a marger between a midwest-based chain (O'Reilly) and what was a hugely successful and fast-growing Houston-based chain from the 80s/early 90s (Hi-Lo). Hi-Lo was a solid mid-tier store, and though the merger kept the O'Reilly name and INITIALLY changed the stock to some lower-tier parts, they soon switched a lot of their stuff back to higher quality (eg, Gates and Wix instead of Dayco and Fram).

Reply to
Steve

I certainly remember HiLo, principally from Charlies over in Bellaire. If you needed it, they had it or could do it. Experienced capable counter guys.

Reply to
<HLS