NASCAR

When I was a kid, stock car races were actually done in stock cars. Drivers like Junior Johnson were out on the track with vehicles that were actual production cars right off the dealer's showroom. Heavily modified, of course, but they were real cars.

Today, if you actually see "stock cars" at these races, they bear very little resemblance to actual production vehicles. They have very different frames and suspensions, and very light bodies that can be easily opened up in order to get inside.

I recall having seen one race where a car blew a clutch, and they pulled off to the pit, dropped the transmission, changed the clutch and were back on the track in ten minutes. Now, I don't know if you've ever changed a clutch, but there is no production vehicle ever made that will allow any team, even the best mechanics with the best facilities, to be able to change a clutch in ten minutes. These vehicles are not production cars.

I think we should bring back the whole notion of stock car racing to the track. Take actual production cars, put real drivers into them, and race them. I think, though, that since sports cars are such a tiny percentage of the market that we should do what common stock car racers back in the fifties did, and race the most popular production vehicles.

And that means SUVs. I'd like to see races with supercharged Dodge Caravans, with water-injected V-8 engines and high ratio transmissions, tearing at

150 miles an hour down the track, chased by blown Chevy Luminas filled with screaming children. As an added benefit, all drivers should be forced to carry on a conversation on a cellphone as they drive.

I feel that this will bring back the spirit and excitement that has been lost in modern stock car racing, because it will allow spectators to identify better with the vehicles and drivers on the track. This identification is something that has been taken away from us, and something we sadly need back.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

But won't your plan make identifying the body parts even less reliable after operating "unsafe at any speed" at rocket speeds has its inevitable result?

Well, at least these days we have DNA testing, so we can plant every scrap of your screaming brat in the correct box.

xanthian.

Reply to
Kent Paul Dolan

... a,j foyt psic] is my idol.

Reply to
beelzibub

foyt-psic, is that some kind of a Ukranian name?

xanthian, on an autism kick.

Reply to
Kent Paul Dolan

I'm confused - you said you wanted "stock" car racing - since when are V8s stock on Caravans? Somehow the image of a Caravan w/ a non-stock engine careening around at 150 sounds more like an episode from MythBusters or something.

Yes, cup cars put on a silly pretense of being stock w/ their 'silhouettes'. But...

Australia has stock car racing - check out their super V series. Europes has stock touring car racing. We have production based racing in the Speed World Challenge. It's out there - just got to look for it a little is all.

Reply to
pgtr

... AJ FOYT [SIC]

Reply to
beelzibub

NASCRAP is to racing what the WWF is to wrestling. Ovals suck.

If you are interested in production cars being raced in the USA,

SCCA Road Racing.

Showroom Stock (4) IT classes (2) touring classes A-sedan (5) GT categories (4) Production classes

SCCA Performance Rally

FIA Group A (not really active) FIA Group N Open Group 5 Group 2 Production Production GT

Also, there is the Speed Channel World Challenge (2 classes) and the "American Lemans" series. We can also watch (on Speed Channel, BTCC and DTM and Australian "Super Car".

I would like to know where I can buy any of these cars with a v8, rwd, carbureted, and with a manual transmission.

Renault once put a minivan body (Espace) on a Formula One car chassis. Something like 800hp.

Reply to
Morgan Bullard

what about sca road racing rules do they allow ball bearings in the axle?

Reply to
cassandras morgan mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges