Need a new Oil Fill Cap ...

I'm an idiot ...

put some oil in my car today, (it's a 94 Geo Metro). Convinced myself that all the smoke was just from some oil I had spilled ... finally noticed that the whole front of the car was covered in oil. Oil fill cap gone, though I think engine is still OK ... now I just need to get a new cap in time for work tomorrow afternoon. So ... are they interchangeable, or do I need a Geo-metro specific oil cap? I guess I'm going to be walking to whatever store/junkyard I go to, so would prefer to get it right the first trip ...

Thanks, Jonah

Reply to
Jonah Rogin

It's just a basic screw-in cap. Doesn't have a vent or anything like that.

Don't ya just love how that oil is thrown right onto the exhaust manifold!

Reply to
Steve Reinis

Approximately 9/18/03 19:27, Jonah Rogin uttered for posterity:

You might be able to duct tape a hunka plastic over the hole so you don't need to wear out your shoes. Make sure you add oil before cranking it up. I'd be surprised if it dumped enough to really hurt anything other than your pride in your auto skills and the local air.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

stick a rag in it for now, don't drive with te cap off, or all the rest of the oil will blow out

then go back to whereever and make them pay for a new cap

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

OMG, sorry, i wasn't reading the post fully. i thought you took it somewhere to have the oil changed. sorry.

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

Car parts stores have generic replacements. You might want to call a few stores to see if they have one in stock that will fit before you hoof it down there. Sticking a rag in there or taping it is just asking for more trouble.

Good luck, Spudston

Reply to
Spudston

On another track, what's the chance that the smoke will actually turn to fire, before all the spilled oil burns off? Anything I can do to minimise that possibility? (turn off engine at stoplights maybe ..)

Reply to
Jonah Rogin

Clean up oilly mess.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Approximately 9/19/03 10:23, Jonah Rogin uttered for posterity:

Well, lets just say that you are probably not the first nor the last to boo boo. If you feel nervous, head for a coin op wash with a bottle of Simple Green or even better Goo Gone [or any other orange peel based cleaner] with a good book.

Park and read the book until the exhaust is cool, then spray the oiled area with the cleaner and then clean it with the car wash wand.

I honestly doubt you are in danger, but I guess it could happen. Cleaning spares you the embarassment at stoplights tho...

Reply to
Lon Stowell