Need advice on a multimeter

I'm a newbie when it comes to auto repairs. I plan on buying a multimeter but I'd rather start out with something simple and inexpensive. I figure I should work my way up to more expensive multimeters like the Flukes. I'm just not sure I'm going to be all that interested in auto repairs. No sense in wasting money I don't have on a multimeter I might only use a few times. Having said that, I was wondering if the Equus/Innova multimeters were suitable for a beginner? I saw an Innova 3306 but there's no information about it on the Equus website. I have no idea what the full specs are for it. Any thoughts on this multimeter?

Reply to
Mike S.

It's cheap junk but it's fine for the job. These days even the $10 meters are accurate enough for lots of work.

ALSO get a test light... just a light bulb with leads on it. The multimeter has a very high input resistance and it will indicate voltage even when a connection is so corroded that hardly any current will flow. The light bulb will show you that there's a problem.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If this meter has banana jacks with standard spacing (which it appears to have in the pictures) you can get an adapter from Radio Shack to use a dummy load, instead of a test lamp.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

in the pictures) you can get an adapter from Radio Shack to use a dummy load, instead of a test lamp.

Would that be something like a taillight socket and bulb with stackable banana jacks?

Reply to
Steve Austin

have in the pictures) you can get an adapter from Radio Shack to use a dummy load, instead of a test lamp.

That would work, but I use resistors.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

have in the pictures) you can get an adapter from Radio Shack to use a dummy load, instead of a test lamp.

If you want accurate measurements, use resistors. If you want a quick qualitative visual measurement, get a taillight bulb.

Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other is better.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You have to weigh what you need the meter for. A great tool is the

it's a logic probe, you hook it up to the cars battery. I use one at work, If you need to read voltage or ground just touch it. if you need to apply battery voltage or ground rock the switch in the correct position. I will pull this out 10x more than a volt meter. IE, i will hook it up to the cars battery and touch the tip to each side of each fuse. If I get power on both sides it's OK, if I get ground on both sides it's OK- Power window- find the two wires to the motor, move the window switch and look/listen for voltage, if none a power problem. Unplug the motor, touch the probe tip and ground to the motor, rock the switch to give 12v and see if the motor moves. I have my answer in under 5 minutes . A wonderfull, usefull tool

Reply to
S.Hansen

Most of my old tools, I bought them at pawn shops.I own three Flukes.Just last Monday, I bought a Black & Decker compound mitre saw/chop saw at a pawn shop for $55.00.Still in the box.It looks brand new.I don't think it has ever been used before.You can find some good deals on tools at pawn shops. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin