Need Advice: Removing Ford Power Window Regulator?

The driver side power window motor on my 93 Ford Aerostar (171,000 miles) has gone bad. I know it's the motor or regulator gearing and not the switch or wiring because when I put a good 12V and ground directly to the motor wires inside the door panel, the motor still won't turn in either direction. Fortunately, it went bad with the window fully raised.

I've removed the door panel and unhooked the motor and power window cables. My Haynes manual doesn't give much detail about how to actually remove the regulator....just says use a punch to knock the 4 rivets out of the panel and remove it. The sketch is virtually useless, too.

Do I remove the regulator with the entire lifter arm still attached, or does the arm need to be separated at one of the pivot points between the motor and the window? Looks like it would be tricky getting the entire arm and assembly out the hole in the door panel.

Also, I'm not sure how the top end of the lifter arm attaches to the bottom of the window. Does it just slide into the horizontal metal channel at the bottom of the window or are there other fastners?

Reply to
Josh

yeah all I can find is how to remove the motor.

  1. disconnect battery ground cable
  2. Remove the interior door trim panel
  3. Detach the electric window motor wire from the wire harness connector.
  4. Using a 1/2" (13mm) drill bit, drill two holes in the door inner panel at the drill dimples located opposite the two unexposed motor drive retainer screews.

(NOTE: check inside the door to make sure that electircal wires are not in line with the holes to be drilled in the door inner panel.

  1. Remove the three motor mount retainer bolts using the two drilled hoels and the larger hole to access the bolt heads.
  2. Puch the motor toward the outside sheet metal to disengage the motor and drive from the regulator gear. After the motor and drive are disengaged, prop the window in the full UP position.
  3. Remove the motor and drive from inside the door.

to install do the reverse..

Hope this helps some.

Chas

Reply to