need an advise 2000 2.0 Jetta slushbox flush

how much atf do you get out of the turn of the century 2.0 liter jetta slushbox? (jetta is 5 door golf outside the states I think)

a coworker is planning to get one. I advised him to change the fluid first thing after the purchase but dunno if he'd need another one soon afterwards :)

Reply to
isquat

please don't call it a "slushbox" - it's an automatic transmission.

the jetta is not a golf - it's its own model, although they do share a lot of common parts families, including engines and transmissions. the jetta is larger and designed primarily for the u.s. market - the passat is the "usual" next size up from the golf over in europe.

as for care and maintenance, question 1 is whether there is any service history. if so, that's your first clue as to urgency of work.

question 2 is what the transmission fluid capacity might be.

question 3 is what kind of fluid.

if you get to 2 & 3, and answer them, then you can go ahead and drain and fill, taking care to observe the condition of the fluid coming out to determine whether you might need to repeat.

one last thing, "flushing" is a profitable service for a dealer to sell, but it's not a particularly great thing for many transmissions. drain and fill is the least harmful maintenance method. if the fluid is bad, repeat up to an additional two more times, taking care to drive the vehicle for a while between each one to ensure full fluid circulation.

Reply to
jim beam

if the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time changing it can do more harm than good.. I've seen many cars come in for a fluid change and when they leave they've suddenly lost a gear or two.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Never had that happen to me, but the max on the fluid was probably

105k miles, which is the highest miles car I've bought. Always change trans fluid, oil, coolant first thing when I buy a used car.
Reply to
Vic Smith