Need GMC Van Air Conditioning advice

I'm a mechanic but never spent much time on air con repairs. I recently purchased a 1997 GMC Safari but the compressor wouldn't engage so I figured the 134 was low. I had it charged and it worked great for a day but there must be a leak. The condenser looked pretty rough so I bought an excellent one from a low mileage wreck. When I disconnected the condenser, there was still pressure in the system, not a lot but I would think if there was a leak, there would be no pressure.

I did try a can of red dye but I can't see any obvious leaks. I don't want to start throwing parts at this van. Any air con techs out there have any ideas or the best way to get some cold air from this puppy.

Thanks Larry

Larry Webb

Ask at one of these sites. You'll get lots of good info..

and/or

ZZ

Shaft seal on the compressor is a very common failure. Take it to an a/c shop that uses a sniffer and have them check for leaks. Well worth the $30 or so they will charge to let you know where the leak is.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I have heard about this situation with GM compressors, Steve. If one had the inclination, would it be feasible to adapt a 'better' type of compressor to GM applications? I know a lot would depend on space available, etc. Which would be the compressor of choice if one wanted to undertake this swap?

Reply to
<HLS

Steve B. writes in article dated Fri, 16 Sep 2005 01:22:56 GMT:

For $30 he can probably get his own leak checker. I was reading my propane torch manual the other day and there's a similar model that is equipped as an AC leak detector. The flame changes color when any trace of Cl or F gets in the air intake. Mine can't be used that way because the flame is too close to the intake, but the similar model has a hose attachment.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

I bought one of those things some years ago. For me, it was worthless as mammaries on turtles, but they still sell them so I guess they work for some people and some applications.

Reply to
<HLS

I didn't think the flame type leak detectors worked on anything other than chlorinated refrigerants like R12.

Regardless, you can get a good modern electronic leak detector that will do both R12 and R134 off Ebay for about $50 - I did.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt