Need help from a Toyota technician please

Have a 93 4runner V6 since new. Always serviced per Toyota schedules, at Toyota dealers, and I have all of the work orders too. Last week I took it in for a hard starting problem. Dealer took down the tank & found a badly kinked line, where it went into the pump bracket. Technician said whoever had the tank down last screwed up. Pump been beating itsaelf to death. Cost me $1206.

About 2 years ago I blew a brake line. Another Toyota dealer I was going to at the time said the brake & fuel lines all needed replacing (salt up here in Canada). So they did, $1060. This was the only time anyone went near the tank. So I'm getting ready to go to this dealer and have words.

So my question is: is it standard procedure when a customer wants fuel lines replaced to take down the tank to get to that last little bit, or can they fiddle it without removal or just ignore the last bit? What is the Toyota stand operating procedure in this case?

tia

Reply to
thedriver

Hey! You posted this in Toyota, and I told you to go to he...er, that is, I told you Comboverfish might have a good answer.

I didn't entirely realize what you were asking. Of course, after discussing so much politics in the Toyota group, actual questions about CARS sometimes go lacking.

Yeah. It is necessary to drop the tank. *THIS* is what the tech is trying to get to:

It is bolted in the top of the tank and there is not very much room at all to get in there. Under an inch, or perhaps an inch. They have to unbolt it and remove it from the tank, since the pump is the cylinder at the end of the sending unit and the whole mess needs to be removed.

Unfortunately, Toyota has notoriously high parts costs (I was working for a dealer 3 years ago and the seat motor for a power seat for a Camry, *OUR COST* was $483!!!!

However, $1200 seems excessive. While it is a task, I replaced the fuel tank in my Supra in the back yard on ramps in under 2.5 hours, all by myself...no jacks, no assistants, no nothing but me and the ramps. That's ~$195 for labor at $75 an hour.

An aftermarket pump from AutoZone is $151. The pump for my '85 Corolla, 9 years ago was $473. A sending unit for an FJ60 (Land Cruiser Station Wagon) for 1990 is $153. Changes are what got damaged was the lines from the sending unit.

The burning question in my mind is, what pinched it?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

So Mr. Bad guy (dealer a) did it in the bay, with a Wrench!!

Hachiroku ???? wrote:

Dealer A replaces fuel & brake lines only one near tank since vehicle left factory (had quarrel so moved)

Dealer B troubleshoots a 'hard start' problem discovers crimped fuel line at tank technician says last guy screwed up & also missed installing a bracket

I always pay what the Dealer tells me is required. I discuss the recommendations but never scrimp. I'm passed the point where I can do my own work. Now I'm getting ready preemptively for Dealer A saying they never went near the tank. Consensus is they did. I hope they'll be truthful.

So Mr. Bad guy (dealer a) did the Pinch, in the Garage, with a Wrench!!

Prices are what they are when you go to Toyota. I just demand professional service for $9x / hour.

Can post pics of crimps but really irrelevant

Now I have to figure out what portion I think of Dealer B's invoice Dealer A should pony up. I think everything but the fuel pump - including rental car.

Reply to
thedriver