Need help with Alpine 8025A car alarm

I have an old Alpine 8025A alarm in my 1993 Civic SI. (The alarm might actually be an 8026A).

I started having problems with it a while back. What was happening was it was not disarming from the remote. However, it was an intermittant problem, at first only happening once in a while and not very serious. All I would do was hit the button on the remote a few more times and it would eventually disarm. Mysteriously, arming with the remote was no problem.

Slowly the problem got worse until one day it would not disarm at all when I was in a packed grocery store parking lot. I had to open the door, triggering the alarm, and fumble around for the valet switch to shut it off while passers by gave me odd looks.

I changed the batteries in both remotes and tried each of them but still had the same intermittant problem. The alarm was essentially useless since I couldn't risk being in another situation where it refused to disarm.

I thought the installation might have been the problem since it was installed by a dealership where the car was purchased, not a place that installs alarms. So I brought it to an alarm shop and had them re-do the installation. Unfortunately the problem did not go away.

To me it looks like the brain is toast. However, I am not an expert in alarms and perhaps the problem is a simple fix. So I thought I would post to this group and find out if anyone here has any ideas on what the problem might be.

-Jonathan Klein

Reply to
Jonathan Klein