Need new exhaust, about how much ?

This is for a 97 Mazda Protege. It's pretty much shot.

Before I start calling around I'd like to get some ball park figures.

Also any recommendation (I'm in the VA/DC area) ?

Thanks,

Steve

(Please post reply here)

Reply to
sw

Just go get some free estimates. An exhaust isn't something you want to do yourself. It isn't hard to do, but it's definately not fun.

Reply to
Phrederick

what part do you require?

parts go from 30.00 to 1500.00 plus the cost of labour.

Reply to
Punch

Well, I was hoping to have a new exhaust made/installed.

I have a free flow cat I might use and I'd probably buy a muffler, but I'd like to have the piping made on the spot, maybe 1/2 inch larger than normal.

I figure since I'm replacing the exhaust, I might as well make some improvements.

Now, this car is only worth about $3000 so, I don't want to spend too much.

Reply to
sw

You're right in saying it's not hard to do but I don't see why you say it's not fun. Nothing in automotive work is particularly fun, it's hard work, it's dirty and it's time consuming but that's why a lot of people, including myself, like doing it.

I recommend you doing it yourself. It all depends on what you're looking to get. If your free flow cat doesn't have flanges, you'll need to get an exhaust shop to either weld flanges or weld the cat to the pipes, otherwise it's really simple. Go look for a cat-back system, they're all over the place. Call around and see if anyone will give you ball parks over the phone.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

um what kind of car, bigger isn't always better.

punch

Reply to
Punch

Mazda protege.

1.8 liter 16v engine 122 HP.

With 1/2 bigger pipes there will still be back pressure (there will be a CAT).

I don't think it will kill the cars torque.

I'll check and see if I can bolt on a new CAT and/or CAT back system.

Reply to
sw