Need to replace windshield- new or used?

Hello, I have a 1978 Buick Regal whose windshield recently suffered serious damage. It was near a car that caught fire, and the heat combined possibly with getting splashed by a fire hose cracked it up pretty bad, although oddly enough only on the outer layer of glass. At any rate, it needs replacing.

Are used windshields a good way to go? I'd rather save some dough, especially on an ancient beater like this one, but a friend of mine had a used one installed and it cracked on him. Was this a fluke, or are used windshields a risky way to go?

From what I can tell it costs about $250 for a new one, and $50-75 for

a used plus $70 or so for install.

Reply to
wackeddout

I have never heard of used windscreens but if it is being supplied and installed by an automotive glass place I wouldn't worry about it.

You probably have an insurance claim against the owner of the car that was on fire. You might even persue it through small claims court.

Reply to
marks542004

?? All cars have used windshields. Any reasonably-sized wrecking yard will have racks and racks of good used glass that's been carefully removed and catalogued. Many of them even have contracts with qualified installers who can install the glass for you. You can search for used auto parts clear across North America (or in whatever locale therein) at

. Search results show all interchangeable years/models and are in descending-price order.

Asshole.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Here in Southern Chicagoland, the auto glass places come out to your house, and change the windshield in your driveway! It's all done in under 60 minutes by 2 guys!

I would go with New. You don't know what kind of stresses were put on the used windshield glass, even if you can get someone to install it for you.

Like I said, 60 minutes and you're on your way with a New windshield, without ever having to leave the house. Hard to beat.

Check your Yellow Pages.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

If I could find an original non pitted windshield (low miles) used I would jump it in a second. The aftermarket replacements 'seem' to break and chip/pit way easier than the original ones.

Around here it is $200.00 for a cash with full warranty aftermarket one. The original in our 88 Cherokee lasted until a couple years ago. The aftermarket replacement already has many cracks....

Mike

Mike Romain

Used windshields can be fine, as long as they are not pecked, scratched, etc. And there are plenty of those cars around in junkyards, so it should be no problem to find a good one.

Reply to
<HLS

Hey, Mike, please enjoy the intended humor here: ditch-jumping doesn't cause cracks, does it? Honestly, I enjoy your posts and have learned some useful

*stuff*--thanks. Plus, I'm sure you don't go off-roading with your jeep--as you need it for your weather up there. s
Reply to
sdlomi2

LOL!

Well, my wife has only managed to blow one tire off a rim on the Cherokee on one sand pit wall climb.... Someone got a photo of it blowing too.

The CJ7's windshield is still original. Getting pitted though.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

If your windshield uses a regular gasket and is not glued in, you can probably install the used one yourself. However, be careful if yo uget a used one that it isn't too "sandblasted" - will make it difficult to drive at night.

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

You'll find that with some model sportscars, used windshields are impossible to find, because they are usually smashed when the cars are junked. You'll find with some older cars that run forever, used windshields are available but they are usually badly sandblasted, since the cars have so many miles on them when they are junked.

Used windshields are always catch as catch can, and some of it depends on how careful the fellow removing them was. But I have always bought used when I could, and recommend doing that if you can. Make sure you inspect the thing carefully before installing, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

i have an auto glass shop and have personally installed many used windshields and other glassses. i usually recommend new molding on most of them though due to damage either when the glass was removed or just because of age. you should check in your area and see about buying whatever applicable molding, they are usually pretty inexpensive. also, small scratches and dull spots can be removed from most glass at home with a little crest toothpaste and a moist towel and a lot of elbow grease. important to remember if installing yourself, make sure all surfaces are clean, i beleive that this particular glass is set in urethane. in other words, after you cut out your old glass, you will have to trim the old urethane down a little on your car. leave a little of the old urethane on the car, it will make a better bond. you can buy urethane and primers at almost all parts stores. make double sure that the windshield being installed is really,really clean. use a scotch brite pad if you need to. clean an area at least one inch wide all around the glass. good luck.

Reply to
plainoldmechanic

I would go for a new windshield. You need to shop around some more. You can usually get a new windshield installed for under $200.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez