New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

Creates a catch 22. Going the speed limit is less than the normal speed of traffic. Going the normal speed of traffic is speeding. Perfect when combined with the war on some drugs and civil asset forfeiture.

Reply to
Brent

So does this make the use of hearing aids illegal while driving or bicycling or are they an exemption.

It's all typical stupid big brother gvt assholery.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

Great, typical chickenshit gvt/representative BS so that when they allow the lobbyists to get their money it will be years later and that way the chickeshit legislators who passed this won't get the blame when it happens.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

It certainly was, starting a little after the recession started.

Now that the recession is pretty much over, I would think things could reverse again, although of course they have to make it into the country again. No small feat.

I don't know but I don't think the Central American numbers are as great as the Mexican.

I've heard that when NAFTA was passed, the North American Free Trade Act, it cost some/quite a few Americans their manufacturing jobs as Mexicans did it cheaper, but the corn farms in the midwest with their enormously efficient farm machinery could raise corn a lot cheaper, and this stopped 10's of thousands of Mexicans from making a living on the small farms they owned or worked, and that that's why there was such a burst of Mexicans entering the US after NAFTA.

Googling, these, written in 2014 and 2012, says that very thing:

and

Micky

[Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted ? and you create a nation of law-breakers ? and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.?]
Reply to
.

Per .:

That's pretty good...

Where did it come from ?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Ayn Rand. An imperfect person, as are we all, but in many ways a sage and seer of our bleak world. She tried for extreme melodrama but now we're way beyond even her cynical dystopia.

Reply to
AMuzi

OH! SEGWAY! lol I almost bought one last month and decided I didn't need one. :D

Reply to
Eagle

How in the f*ck would you get your walker on a Segway???

LOL Put down the pipe!

Reply to
burfordTjustice

Yup. And then the push for ethanol raised the price of corn -- and of tortillas, a major source of protein in the diet of poor Mexicans.

Thank you, George H. w. Bush, Clinton, George W. Bush, obama, et al.

Reply to
rbowman

I didn't know that, thanks. Turns out one 20g corn tortilla has 1 gram of protein:

AMuzi

No, you have it wrong. The price was much lower. If ethanol had any effect, any increase, it was small compared to the lowering effect of the corn imported from the US.

Reply to
Micky

Would you like some more links?

Reply to
rbowman

The alternative to not issuing drivers licenses is to have them drive without licenses, or insurance.

State governments don't have the power to deport anyone. The federal government doesn't want to act for several reasons. First, illegals pay far more more in federal taxes than they receive in federal benefits. Second, the companies that employ illegals in large numbers, corporate agriculture, meat packing, hotel chains, etc. would be in big trouble if the supply of low-cost exploitable labor dried up.

Reply to
sms

First of all, anybody who gives you actual numbers is basing them on insufficient information. The guys on the right point to the guys on the left as having made-up numbers. The guys on the left point to the guys on the right as having made-up numbers. They are both right. Undocumented immigrants are just that, undocumented, and all of the numbers you see are based on basic statistics.

Secondly, in addition to the normal flow of illegal immigrants and the recent new flow of refugees, we also have a lot of seasonal workers that come across the border to work the harvest and then go back to Mexico before the winter. These people aren't immigrants, and the number and direction depends on what time of year you try to measure it. So if you look in the late fall you will always see "migration towards Mexico" even though the people moving are not doing so for immigration purposes.

But... if you go down to the southern border of Mexico, you can see a huge number of people trying to get into Mexico from Honduras and Guatemala, Nicaragua and El Salvador, because the situations there are even worse than they are in Mexico. Many of those people are on their way into the US, but some of them stay in Mexico.

There is a whole lot of that going on right now, and it's something you never saw a decade ago. Until there is some degree of stability in central america and people are able to live their lives with some degree of security rather than live under the thumb of drug lords, this is going to get worse rather than better.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

And THAT was an interesting one because it took a couple seasons to happen so there was some warning about it taking place. The corn you want to grow for tortillas is very different than the corn you want to grow for ethanol, and they are both very different than the sweet corn people think of when they think of corn. So farmers had to decide what to plant and then had a good lag time before they harvested it.

For the most part I don't think NAFTA has been a bad thing for either the US or Mexico, but there certainly was some ugly adjustment.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey