New engine: starts from second time

Dear All, I'm a newbie in the automotive technology but I'm trying to learn things. In the meantime I have a problem: the lower part of the engine (crankcase, cylinders, etc) on my Buick Century 1996 was recently changed. It runs perfectly, but it would only start from the second time if the car stays for a while. If it would have driven 5 minutes ago, it may start from the first time (sort of almost dying but finally catching up) or again from the second time. The mechanic washed throttle body, changed coolant temperature sensor and nothing helped: this annoying problem persists. The mechanic just gave up, and I don't know what is going on either. Any idea? Could it be that the computer settings must be fine-tuned? Or what else could it be? I see the coolant temperature sensor's cable is soaked in oil and its insulation is like a jelly, but the mechanic swears that he insulated everything with a tape. Many thanks for any idea.

Reply to
Karlsson-on-the-Roof

Was it working before you had the engine changed?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Have your expert mechanic put a pressure gauge on the fuel lines. I am betting you have a leaky injector or a bad one way valve (check valve) in the system and that the fuel pressure is dropping in the fuel lines when the car is shut off.

Instead of trying to start the car the first thing when you get in, switch the ignition from off to run (but not to start) two or three times before actually switching the key to start. I bet it will start right away then.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Hi Ted, Yes, it was always working well. Alex.

Reply to
Karlsson-on-the-roof

Hi Ed, I tried your trick, it didn't help. I recycled the fuel pump several times hearing it being activated for 2 seconds. Subsecuent starting did not work. Again I had to crank the engine 2-3 times before it went on. Any other idea? Alex.

Reply to
Karlsson-on-the-roof

Reply to
KENG

I wouldn't say that it was harder. I brought it to another shop. They found a loose and dirty connection to the + battery pole. It began start OK, but then the starter became slow and was getting stuck sometimes. It appeared to be that while fixing positive pole they made negative one loose :-). They fixed this as well. Damn, again from the second time. What a frustration. I thought perhaps battery was bad and voltage dropped upon startup so that the vehicle computer was getting mad. I went to Schuck's for a new battery and they told me that my original one is not charged well. I charged it there and the car started from the first attempt. Let's see how well it will be later.

Reply to
Karlsson-on-the-roof

(crankcase,

That's such a frustration!!! Again! Only starts from the second time. I also noticed if I push the key really hard while cranking, there are higher chances to start from the first time. Or if it is cranking and the engine is not catching, some wobbling of the key produces engine "coughing", sort of almost starting and then kicking back. I can't believe that this annoying problem comes from the key/ignition switch. Could it be that during cranking I have unstable voltage in the system because of some loose connection in the key department? Thanks for any idea. Already have two mechanics have given up :-).

Reply to
Karlsson-on-the-Roof

It wouldn't be inconceivable that the contacts in the ignition switch are bad and that the problem occurring after the engine change is coincidental.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

I brough it to the third autoshop. Finally they found the reason: grounding of the computer was loose and during high power demand (cranking) the voltage was dropping below acceptable levels and the computer was getting mad.

Reply to
Karlsson-on-the-roof