New tires in trash?

Greetings, I recently found quite a lot of brand new tires (still have stickers) in the tire recycling bin. There are several manufacturers and types, so I do not think it is due to a recall. They are in sets of 2 or 4, so not oddballs. The only guess I have is their manufacture date. Several have stickers with a date in the 2002 range. Do tires "expire"? Anyway, I pulled out 4 sets of 4 that are pretty common 14 and 15" sizes. Any thoughts on the legality of selling these as "used" tires. I figure $100-$150 a set would sell pretty quick (especially since all are name brand all season tires and bad weather is just around the corner). Maybe some extra Christmas $$. Just wish I had found them a few months ago when I put lesser quality tires of the same size on my car for $280. Thanks in advance for any help, Chris

Reply to
stewsclues

Tires do age. Dry-rot, hardening and cracking of the rubber compound is the most common condition of aged tires.

Reply to
jcr

Not in four years they won't.

Reply to
Ulf

Something else doesnt quite ring right about this post.

Seems to me that there is legislation about the manner of disposal of tires. Would a company throw tires in a trash bin??

Reply to
hls

If it were a recall or similar, the person disposing of the tire would be required to render it unusable, usually by drilling a hole in the sidewall.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Right- Also, many states have tire recycling laws, so ALL tires at my past place of employment were sent to the tire disposal agency; never did we put them in the trash.

Reply to
Stephen H

But there are a lot of places where tires will still end up in the trash, places where enforcement is weak or nonexistent. Those tires should still be good as long as they haven't been drilled or left out in the sun or moving air; damage caused by UV and ozone are the big killers of tires left outside. Some large stores can't be bothered to special off obsolete stock and the factory sure doesn't want it back. There's a lot of good merchandise going into dumpsters all over North America. See the alt.dumpster newsgroup.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Did anyone read the OP's post? He said "in the tire recycling bin", not in the dumpster, garbage, etc.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Good point, Pete. If these were in a 'tire recycling bin', then does that mean they were still the valuable property of the company which owned them. Are they now stolen goods?

No accusations intended, but something about this post just didnt sound quite right.

Reply to
hls

Probably since they tend to have a second life as fuel for cement plants, material for loading dock bumpers, surfacing for running tracks, etc.

Indeed.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I would want to know why unused tires were in the recycling bin before I took on the responsibility that would come from selling discarded tires to someone else.

I suspect that if you know enough to be rummaging around in tire recycling bins for tires to resell, then you know a whole lot more about tires than is apparent in your message. I suspect that anyone who even knows about tire recycling bins is aware that tires don't have expiration dates.

Are you shilling?

Reply to
John S.

Greetings, Original poster here to clear things up a bit. I am in the military and live in Germany. Recycling is manditory, therefore, there are convinient recycling centers. Many people in the military are very wasteful so I make regular trips to find nearly new electronics someone plugged into 220V (replace the fuse and usually things work OK again), items that are too heavy to take like my son's entertainment center (very nice, but someone left it because we are limited on how much weight we can ship), his couch (a $200 IKEA couch someone used for a month until their regular items arrived from the states), etc. You should get the idea. When I walked by the tire bin, it was obvious that many tires had the stickers on them and were new. With 2 kids and sending my wife through school, I decided it may mean a few extra bucks for Christmas. Not poor, but not getting rich in the Army, either. I found 4 sets of 4 tires (do not need to be a tire expert to match brand, model, and size). The car center on post is a military (civilian run) facility. Most Military facilities are quite wasteful. Why they threw out several sets and onsies and twosies of new tires in various brands and sizes, I do not know. I do not think I stole them (though not sure what the Germans do with used tires, but am positive we americans pay for them to take them). I am not shilling (whatever that means). I am not an expert (it wasn't hard to match tires). I appreciate the help so far. I just want to know if it is reasonable to sell them for $100 a set to folks looking for a set of tires for their car. Could save another soldier a few bucks, too. I bought a set of Coopers a few months back for $270. Wish I had waited, for I sure would have put a set of these on my car. Chris

Reply to
stewsclues

What I mean, is is it reasonable regarding legally (if I sell them as "used") and safety. When I asked if tires had an expiration date, I meant is there a time limit for selling tires before they must be disposed of. There are some wierd laws out there. I could see the government saying tires may not be sold as new if they are X years old (by manufacture date). Again, thanks Chris

Reply to
stewsclues

A used tire is a used tire and they go for about 25 bucks a pop from the wrecker here in Canada. Sometimes you get lucky and there is almost no wear on them.

Sounds like your friends are about to get lucky.

I would inspect them carefully or have one mounted to see if the person that 'recycled' them was a d*****ad or not and slashed or stabbed them so someone else can't use them.

Mike

Mike Romain

That or the recycling company. Contracts for those kinds of services usually state that whatever goes into the bin immediately becomes property of the recycling company.

Reply to
mandtprice

That is true but let me point out that all you need to do is call the recycling company and ask if they sell old tires that have been recycled, tell them you have an old car and you just need tires with barely some tread on them for cheap. If they tell you that they do not, then I guarentee they will be more than happy if someone takes the tires out of the recycling bin, even though they may not give any official permission for doing it, because tires cost money to dispose of even for a recycling company.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt